Advertisements
Advertisements
I posted this on the adoptive parents forum because that is where I usually read and post, but I will probably get more responses here. So if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!
My cousin's children have been taken into State Custody(Arkansas). I was wondering how difficult it would be for family in Tennessee to get these children. The goal is reunification. However, until then, it would be great if the children could be with family.
Our youngest son is adoped and also a blood relative of my husbands, but it was private and the State was not involved.
Thanks in advance for any nd all information!
If the goal is RU then they are unlikely to consider family out of state while the case is moving toward RU.
If there is family interested should it turn toward adoption then it's very important those family members start talking to the workers involved to ensure they have homestudies, health assessments, training, ICPC and anything else required by the sending and receiving state to satisfy the states as quickly as possible in the event of adoption.
Advertisements
It would seem unlikely since part of the case plan would be regular visitation with the parents and unless you are very close, which with those states, it is possible, I think it unlikely.
However, if you get a sense that the kids don't stand a good chance of going back home, then you should let it be known that you are willing to take the kids (if indeed you are), if and when that happens.
They are others here who have more experience, but I think the main thing is to make yourself known to the caseworkers as soon as possible.
It would seem unlikely they would move the kids outside of the state since the plan is RU. If they move them then visits would be impossible.
Best thing at this point is to let their current SW know the family is interested and what they can do at this point. Unless it's going to TPR then most likely they won't be able to get them placed in their home. And even if TPR is a possibility there has to be an ICPC done. That can take months. In our case it took about 10 mos to complete.
I just recieved an email from our local SW regarding this very situation. In our case, our relatives are in KY and we are in MI. She said that unless TPR is imminant, they most likely would not move the children. Even if they do request tpr, the judge and/or jury still may not agree to move the kids. She recommended we call the SW's and follow up with letters of interest, so that there is a paper trail. Hope this helps, and good luck!
ranoutofnames
If the goal is RU then they are unlikely to consider family out of state while the case is moving toward RU.
If there is family interested should it turn toward adoption then it's very important those family members start talking to the workers involved to ensure they have homestudies, health assessments, training, ICPC and anything else required by the sending and receiving state to satisfy the states as quickly as possible in the event of adoption.
I agree with ranout--insist they start the Interstate Compact for Placement of Children process NOW, just in case ru does not work. Ask to be in touch with foster fam. so they are aware of you and your interest--that is critical. Do not take no for an answer--
Advertisements
We have a child in our care with the goal of RU and she is being moved out of State to live with a non blood realative. The ICPC was talked about when the case first went to depo. I think it only recently was put into action. We are still waiting to for a homestudy to be completed by the other state. She is being moved half way across the country and we have weekly visits with one parent and expect the other parents to start visits in the near future.
I would say call the Case Worker email can work well. In our area emails have to be printed put and put in the childs file so it leaves a paper trail.
Good Luck to you
Thank you so much, everyone, for the advice and helpful information.
I honestly believe that TPR will not happen at this time. It might just be in the children's best intrest to not try and move them. We live 4 hrs away from where they are, and while I would make sure they were at each visit, it might be harder on them to travel that much. I just really wasn't thinking about all the details. My heart is just broke that not only are the kids away from their family, they have been split up. The girls are 2 & 3 and the boy is 7. It just kills me.
If it looks like TPR may happen then I will re-evaluate our options, but I seriously doubt that will happen. Ofcourse, with this sort of thing, one never really knows.
Thanks again everyone.
You may not want to wait for tpr, because the longer a child is with foster parents, the harder the seperation is on everyone involved. It also would be very beneficial for the children to remain together.