Advertisements
Advertisements
I spent the majority of my childhood in foster care. First came in when I was six months, bounced back and forth from my mother and foster care until I was 8, tpr when I was 12 (I think. I might have been a little younger), and aged out on my 18th birthday. When I aged out I was extremely hurt and bitter and had decided that I never wanted anything to do with the system again. Yet, here I am in the process of becoming a foster parent and parent for the first time in my life. Part of me feels some healing in my heart by this decision and part of me is terrified. I've come to the conclusion that I am capable of loving a child, even if it means I only get to love them for a little while. When the time comes that a child comes into my home to be adopted, then it was meant to be.
Are there many others like me out there? The agency I am going to work with said I am the first one she's met. Surely that can't be true.
I was in foster care when i was nine for about two months and then at fifteen to seventeen. At seventeen my foster parents adopted me. I am no longer close to them but deeply appreciate them caring for me.
Well fast forward several years later. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for two years and we have been through the ringer of infertility tests. We have decided to move on to adoption. We are wanting to foster adopt. I have always had the desire to give a child a safe home to grow up in. My husband on the other hand knows nothing about fostering a child. We have discussed this and researched fostering,and have now decided to start the process.
There are so many children out their that need loving and secure homes. I want to provide that to a child. So I will finally be able to do this. It might not be my biological child but they will be loved to pieces.
Advertisements
We've never been in care but I'm amazed at home many social workers, therapists, case workers, etc. tell me that they were either in care and/or are adopted. Makes me wonder if my kids will be drawn to the social services career path when they are older. It's wonderful for people who have first hand knowledge to give back. Kudos to all of you!
I too Aged out, I wish I could say my experiences were good. I have always wanted to be a foster parent, but my husband is a truck driver, and I am very busy with my children and grandchildren. I know there will be a day when I open my home to Foster children.
I believe you will be a awesome Foster parent! Because of your experience. I wish you Luck and Blessing.
I was in foster care from 1-2. Even though I was so young, my having been in foster care is the reason I just became a foster parent. I am currently waiting on my first placement. I am going to foster 0-2. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to foster/adopt an older child (10-18). I am just too young at this point to foster or adopt someone of that age. When I get older I am definately going to do that. So anyway back to the point... you are not the only one!
To all of you foster/adopt parents out there who have been a child of the system at some point in your life, I just want to give you all a huge kudos! What a way to turn your experiences into a positive motivator to help today's children. You are all amazing! Thank you!!
Advertisements
My two younger sisters, and I were abandoned by our abusive parents when we were 10, 5, 3 years old. I took care of us the best I could (I had to steal to provide food), but we were finally discovered. They placed us in foster care, and separated us. I was adopted at 14. My sisters had a couple placements, and then got placed (together, thank God) with a wonderfully loving couple where they both aged out, and kept in contact with them. I have been with my adoptive family for over 30 years now, and I have just recently began the process to adopt/foster children. I'm almost giddy at the prospect of being a dad, and I believe that my experience will be helpful (or at least bore a child to sleep).
Rookie,
We are so looking forward to hearing about your experiences as a foster dad! Please keep us posted as you go through the process---I'm really eager to hear your opinion about how things have changed.
If someone would have asked me that question even 5 years ago, I would have probably kicked em. What an aweful thing to suggest!!
Now, being 20, and out of the system, 1.5 years into my college education, im rethinking that question very seriously. And why not? I spend 13 years of my life in FC. I know what makes a good FP, and what makes a bad one. I know about group homes, how to work the system, and even the tricks to get the CW's to return phone calls. (top secret) :) I know about court appearences, and what to say and what to not say. I even know it feels like to NOT be adopted and age out. When I thought about it, former kids have lots to offer.
Yea, I still have some resentment, but my last mom once told me that complaining about something doesnt mean diddly squat, and its usually just a waste of energy. Fixing something thats broken requires education, skills, and the tools to fix the problem. Hmm... I have 2 of those!
I'm in no position to foster now, but it's part of my long term objectives. If my career choice of physical theropist/coach doesnt work out, maybe I can train to be a CW?? Hmm.. naw. I'm not that patient when it comes to politics and beurocracy. lol
I was in foster care just a very short time when I was 3 months old until I was a year old. My mom almost lost me again several times growing up and I wish I was away from her. My husband and I tried to have our own children, but that didn't work, so we decided to give back and foster. We currently have a little 5, almost 6 month old little girl.
Advertisements
My husband was a foster child, living in an orphanage from age 10-13, then mom decided she wanted him again. Would have been better off staying in the orphanage. While it was my idea to foster/adopt, my husband agreed right away. Not a real "touchy-feely" kind of guy, I was really hoping he would do ok with the inevitable emotional issues foster kids would bring. But he has done very well, loves these kids we adopted something fierce, and I have seen some beautiful healing take place in him the past few years. They really love him too. I've overheard my daughters tell people they love mama but they're true "daddy's girls". If our kids didn't look so different, no one would ever guess they were adopted as older kids, not birth children. I never anticipated how much he would change, but it's wonderful.
amymlc
I spent the majority of my childhood in foster care. First came in when I was six months, bounced back and forth from my mother and foster care until I was 8, tpr when I was 12 (I think. I might have been a little younger), and aged out on my 18th birthday. When I aged out I was extremely hurt and bitter and had decided that I never wanted anything to do with the system again. Yet, here I am in the process of becoming a foster parent and parent for the first time in my life. Part of me feels some healing in my heart by this decision and part of me is terrified. I've come to the conclusion that I am capable of loving a child, even if it means I only get to love them for a little while. When the time comes that a child comes into my home to be adopted, then it was meant to be.
Are there many others like me out there? The agency I am going to work with said I am the first one she's met. Surely that can't be true.
My father was in foster care in the early 50's and became homeless on the streets at age 12. He became a foster parent when he and my mom were in their 60's. Finally, the stress DCS caused them, they quit after fostering for four years.
Absolutely. I was put in foster care when I was 14 and aged out at 18 as a senior in high school. It has always been a dream to foster/adopt a young sibling set - just waiting for the "right time". :)
I was a foster child when I was about 5 yrs old , then was returned home to horrible parents, at the age of 12 yrs old ,I ran away or knew I'd die from abuse of many ways if I didn't . I lived on the streets for awhile then found and I was then placed into a foster home and felt like I went from rags to riches . My foster mom and children were great, not so much for the foster father who should of been arrested. At 18 I got married , big mistake but what did I know???
A Lot has changed during the many years since I've been a child. ( and a lot of needed therapy )
My husband and I are just starting our pride classes and want to foster/ adopt a low to no risk girl that is 10-15 yrs old . I know I have been there and I hope we can make a difference in a child's life. :)
Advertisements
I too was placed in foster care when I was 15 for a year. On top of the neglect and abuse, I was getting in a lot of trouble with the police so they removed me from home and put me in a foster home in the next city over
At first it was terrible, I rebelled and really didnt want to be there. Then, I thrived and welcomed the structure. I can safely say that they CHANGED my life and the direction it was heading. Even though I was only in it for a year, I still visit with them once in a while.
I am almost done with my classes, first home study is done and getting ready to start getting placements. I am also going to be open to the same issues/problems I had because I feel I would be good with these kinds of kids since Ive btdt.
If I can just touch one kiddos life like mine was and thier lifes path alterered because of it........man how awesome would that be!!!
I was in the foster care system from age 12 through 18. Because I was a teenager, I bounced around from home to home to home; and school to school to school. I lived with a few foster parents only wanting kids for the check from the state, but there were one set of foster parents that I feel really changes my life. I only lived with them for about 6 months. They were only liscenced for younger children and agreed to take me as an emergency placement. It was living with them, that I first thought about fostering when I was an adult. That was many years ago, and I now have 5 children, one adopted through the foster care system with another one being prayed for soon. I still am in contact with that amazing couple. Their love and support have carried me through so much! They really are angels on earth!