Advertisements
Advertisements
I have two bio boys and we are wanting to adopt a little girl....but were told that we cannot request a girl if we were to decide on Korea. Is this true? If it is, is it an agency rule or a Korean gov rule??
Thank you!!
We adopted our son 6 1/2 yrs ago from Korea. We are waiting to get a call any day to get our little girl from Guatemala. We would have gone back to Korea for a little girl, but it's too hard to do this. The answer to your question is unless it has changed since 2 yrs ago., you cannot request a gender. Also, they are only letting "special needs" kids be adopted by families from the states. This also was a change they made. They were wanting to encourage domestic adoption in their country and this is what they did . The healthy kids are for the Koreans to adopt. We would have love to gone back through the Korean program. It's was so much faster and better than Guatemala's process. No dossier! The time also has become alot longer. The agency we used was Adoption Services from Silver Springs Maryland. They were very good to work with. You can ask them on the latest news about adopting from Korea. The kids are adorable. I love my son sooo much! He is so sweet and very handsome.
I wish you the best.
JE
Last update on November 24, 8:05 am by Sachin Gupta.
Advertisements
Momtosons
I have two bio boys and we are wanting to adopt a little girl....but were told that we cannot request a girl if we were to decide on Korea. Is this true? If it is, is it an agency rule or a Korean gov rule??
Thank you!!
Some families can request a female referral when they have all male children in the family. It's very agency dependant. Therefore, the best way to look into this is to find the handful of Korean Adoption agencies that can place a child in your state. Then, call up those agencies and ask them if they allow for gender requests and what their policy is. Many agencies have stopped accepting requests due to the fact that the vast majority of children available for international adoption from Korea are boys.
Gender selection is an agency issue, not a Korea issue.
Most agencies do not allow first-time parents to select gender, though a few may.
However, many agencies do allow parents with other children (bio or adopted) to select gender. They know that some families either have room-sharing constraints or want to have children of both genders.
Sharon
When we adopted from Korea in 2006, we were able to choose to adopt a girl because we already had two boys. However, this was right before all of the changes. My understanding is that now (due to the within country adoptions) there are very few girls available for adoption to families in other countries.
Carolyn
As everyone said, it depends on your agency. Most of the agencies won't allow gender selection if you have no children. For our first adoption, we could not choose the gender, then we changed agency for our second adoption. This new agency allowed us to pick a gender since we already have a boy. However, we decided to be open to either gender. PM me if you want more info on my agency.
Advertisements
It isn't a Korean government rule and varies by agency. Since we aren't allowed to discuss agencies on this site, you will probably need to call around to find out if any agencies in your state allow gender selection. This topic is discussed in a lot of previous threads, most recently here:
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/korea-adoption/337308-anyone-able-pick-gender.html[/url]
It is agency dependent. We have 3 sons and requested a girl from Korea. We waited over 9 months for a referral but we brought our little girl home this past July!