Advertisements
Advertisements
I THINK I read about this before but I cannot find the previous thread (if there was one). Our DS came home about 7 months ago. He has 2 tiny holes (perfect in size and in the exact same place) on the outside of his ears. Not his earlobes, but the cartilidge (at least I think that is what that part is called). What are these? Every time I take him to the pediatrician I forget to ask. You guys probably know more anyway!!!
THANKS!!
Wow I had never heard this before but it's an interesting thing to know!!
In fact I use to wonder about kids born with teeth until my husband's cousin's son was born with a bottom tooth! I know totally unrelated topics but still cool medical info to know:)
Advertisements
Wow this is so interesting. DS has a bump on each ear in the same spot that looks like a hole that was healed (if that makes sense). They are in the cartilage portion of the ear above the openings and go all the way through to the back. I also forget to ask the pediatrician.
would someone post a picture of this??? eli has weird something on the back top of his ears...but his almost look like he had a botched surgery to pin back his ears....it isn't exactly a hole.
I have never looked to see if they go all the way through. But I will when I get him from daycare today and, if no one else has, I will TRY to post a pic (since I started this!!). But I have never figured out how to do it!!!! I am also calling the pediatrician now. And yes they look like pierced ear holes without the earrings!!!
FYI...I am a sales director but at our plant we have a lot of Mexican and Guat workers. One of the Mexican workers told me it is very common in their culture but she didn't know what it was.
I will post again later today.
EDIT/UPDATE - I just called the pediatrician and the nurse had NO IDEA what I was talking about. He goes back for a checkup in a week. If we don't clear it up before then I PROMISE I will show her and find out.
My 8 year old bio son was born with a tiny pin hole in his ear. I am trying to remember where it is-I think it is right above the cartildge area also. The pediatrician noticed it right away and told me it was nothing to worry about. She did mention that some children born with this could have hearing problems but my son passed his newborn hearing test with flying colors. The hole has never bothered him and nothing has come out of it (that I know of!). Don't know if certain ethnic groups are more prone to them. My son is 1/2 Croatian, 1/4 Lebanese and 1/4 German/Scottish/American Indian etc.
Terri
Advertisements
OK...still don't know how to post a pic. But his little pinholes are on the 'flap' that connect his ear to his head. I will keep trying to post the pic. If someone can help that would be great.
(I thought you went below the area to type your message and used 'manage attachments' to post a pic. But when I try nothing happens.)
OK, I tried to take pictures of Kaya's but they didn't really turn out. Imangine trying to hold a 15 month old's ear! LOL She wasn't having it.
Kaya's is on the upper outside, of her ear, closer to the head, I know TeeTee's little girls is on the inner part. They look different, so it could be that some are talking about different types of holes. Kaya's looks like a birthmark, but when you touch it, it is an indention with no other way but a hole to describe it. OK, I don't know how to post pictures either, if someone else will post it I'll email them too you or give me some directions it says it's too big?:hissy:
w8ting4Thomas
OK...still don't know how to post a pic. But his little pinholes are on the 'flap' that connect his ear to his head. I will keep trying to post the pic. If someone can help that would be great.
(I thought you went below the area to type your message and used 'manage attachments' to post a pic. But when I try nothing happens.)
yes...click manage attachments, a window will pop up, then click browse and select the photo from your computer, push upload, when it is done, close the window, and the picture should be there . :) don't forget that you have to downsize it first on your computer. if this is all like a foreign language to you, just pm me, and you can email me the picture and i'll post it. yeah...i have got to see this, bc it sounds like what eli has....and i've always wondered about it!!!!
Advertisements
skiouro
OK, I tried to take pictures of Kaya's but they didn't really turn out. Imangine trying to hold a 15 month old's ear! LOL She wasn't having it.
Kaya's is on the upper outside, of her ear, closer to the head, I know TeeTee's little girls is on the inner part. They look different, so it could be that some are talking about different types of holes. Kaya's looks like a birthmark, but when you touch it, it is an indention with no other way but a hole to describe it. OK, I don't know how to post pictures either, if someone else will post it I'll email them too you or give me some directions it says it's too big?:hissy:
to downsize a picture, you can use your photo shop to reduce them to about 30%. i have a mac and i can't figure out how to do it, so i usually downsize my pics at this free site:
[url=http://www.shrinkpictures.com/]Resize Images online[/url]
I was born with three of these-- one on one side and two on the other. The second one is down under where the ear cartlidge juts out from the head (understand? I think some people actually pierce the jutted out piece?) Anyway when I was born my parents had it checked. They happen in utero and it is simply a hole that never closed up. There is a surgery that can happen to remove them and the "tubes" attached to them but there are risks-- I was a baby and the main face nerve is extreemy small and there was a high chance of that getting severed (which would never heal) during the surgery. The other risk is they may not get the entire tube and then close the outer opening causing the milky stuff to back up and cause all sorts of pain and problems. It was opted to keep my holes. Thankfully!!
They will often have tubes that go in the head. Mine do and I have to "milk" (I know gross) them to keep them from getting infected. It is not difficult or painful and it is as common and similar to when you have an itch on your arm you sctatch it and comtinue..... that is all I do. Sometimes I need to make sure no one is around cause ther eis a distinct odor with it that is gross, though it lasts less than a minute. My mom was taught by my pediatrician to do this when I was younger and then I just naturaly did it. Recently, I had to see an ENT because it was infected. I am 30 years old and this was the first time this happened. I have noticed the milking is more frequent when my sinus or allergies act up. Anyway the ENT explained the same thing the pediatrician did about the utero thing but was soooo suprised I never had issues with it before. I haven't had any issues since the one infection. Even if I did one round of oral antibiotics cures it and life continues like normal.
While I was in school I did meet someone who had 2 like me.
My parents told me they were angel kisses and I was special. Honestly I never even minded them or gave them a second thought-- even as an insecure teenager.
I hope this information helps.
[url=http://www.doctorhoffman.com/xpit.htm]Preauricular Pits[/url]
[url]http://www.adhb.govt.nz/newborn/TeachingResources/Dermatology/PreauricularSinus/PreauricularSinus.JPG[/url]
Pictures and more information!!!
My dd's look EXACTLY like the one in first link. It is exactly in that spot. It is nice to be aware that they can become infected. Thanks for the info., now I know what to call it.
Advertisements
AllGodsgrace - YOU ARE THE BEST!!! Thank you for explaining something my pediatrician hasn't yet!!! I don't know what I would do without the forum...who needs the rest of the professional world with all of you out there!!!
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE PICS AND THE EXPLANATION. BIG HELP!!!
Yep this is exactly what Isaac's look like. I thought it was some kind of thing they do to the babies when they are born (some kind of piercing) but it is noce to know what it is now and I agree to that it is good to know that they can get infected. I did ask the fm when we first visited and she said it was normal but nothing beyond that. Thanks ya'll