Advertisements
Advertisements
OK, I wouldn't do it for real, I think it's just the cabin fever setting in, but really, how would they know if we left? We're in the agency apartment right now, and we are planning on leaving it tomorrow and getting a little closer to the state border. I know, we're only 45 min right now, but we're so sick of being here. We need a change of scenery. I was joking like what if our car accidentally keeps driving?
I know we can't really leave the state, we wouldn't jeopardize the whole adoption, I'm just kind of thinking out loud.
Our agency told us that when ICPC was cleared through the birthstate that we could leave that state and travel anywhere we wanted as long as we did not enter our home state until ICPC cleared there. We plan to go to my motherinlaws after the birthstate clears us to leave so we don't have to stay far from home the whole time. She lives about 25 minutes away from our home in another state, so for us it will work out well, because we won't have to be soooo far away from home.
I hope you hear something soon. I too believe that I would not want to jeapardize the adoption after waiting so long, by coming home when we aren't supposed to. As long as we have been waiting, I actually look forward to that time away and the time we get to spend with our new baby.
Advertisements
The thought had entered our mind as well for our second adoption. We were there over a holiday, then there were more delays with court closures and so forth. It was aweful. I longed to get home so badly...to get back to "normal". We stayed in an "extended stay" type...had we not, I would have lost it a lot sooner!!!
--Renee
I understand COMPLETELY-having just left Texas on 09-06-08. We had to wait 10 days and cabin fever was definitely peaking!!! I would offer words of encouragement, but there is only so much internet surfing, go to the store, etc. etc. one can do. I wish you a safe and speedy clearance home.
Luv,
Nik
Yeah to me it wasnt worth the risk, we asked our attorney and she said a myriad of things could happen from them imposing a fine on us to removing our child... definitely not worth it ! lol
With all 3 adoptions, in 3 different states we were told that we could NOT leave the birth state, could not cross the state lines until we were cleared by both states. I know that a lot of attorneys & agencies tell you that once the bstate clears you, you are free to travel but for me I wouldnt risk it. In fact, with this last adoption we were cleared by the birthstate on Friday, if we had left we would have been in violation because on Monday we got notified by the receiving state that the sending states paperwork was incomplete - therefore we hadnt really been cleared.
gina.
Advertisements
We were 3-1/2 miles from another state (and about 5 states from our home one) and we were warned big time not to even go that way to the McD's just beyond the state line for if we were to be seen or caught (i.e., got a speeding ticket) outside of the birthstate prior to ICPC final approval we would not only lose custody of the baby we would also be denied any future requests for approval for that child or any other child from any state at a later date as we had violated regulations (if nasty, the birthstate (even in private adoptiosn as ours was) has the right to charge you with kidnapping also - so no matter how tempting - do not risk it - you would regret it later!
gigigeorge
OMG, 5 weeks ago I could have written that post ! We got stuck in California for almost 5 weeks waiting for ICPC clearances... I so wanted to leave, I wanted to be home... I asked the same question - lol. How WOULD they know???? lol
In the end we waited it out, because we didnt want to risk it but man I was tempted :)
gina.
Gina, I read about your ordeal when I searched for posts related to ICPC. OMG! How did you make it?
Our attny also told us we could not leave the birth state. We did however find a form in with all of our placement paperwork about notifying the agency if we plan to leave the state, but I think that might have just been for IL residents.
We did leave the agency apartment today and get a hotel a couple miles from the state border. Kind of stupid I know, it's only like 45 min closer to home, but we so needed to get out of where we were. But now we are in a flood zone (IL/IN border), and one of my girls is throwing up and was crying when I talked to her. I hope we get clearance tomorrow!
aMarylandfamily
We were 3-1/2 miles from another state (and about 5 states from our home one) and we were warned big time not to even go that way to the McD's just beyond the state line for if we were to be seen or caught (i.e., got a speeding ticket) outside of the birthstate prior to ICPC final approval we would not only lose custody of the baby we would also be denied any future requests for approval for that child or any other child from any state at a later date as we had violated regulations (if nasty, the birthstate (even in private adoptiosn as ours was) has the right to charge you with kidnapping also - so no matter how tempting - do not risk it - you would regret it later!
I live in Maryland. M-K was born in DC. Even though I only lived a few minutes away from where she was born, I had to wait 2 weeks for an ICPC. However, they did let me bring her to MD for day visits during the first week and then for an overnight weekend visit for the second week.
With Hanna, they called me when ICPC was completed and told me to come pick her up.
We were told the same about being able to leave but not enter our home state till that one came through too. The good news for us was the day we left to get closer to home was the day the ICPC was signed in our home state so we just kept on going.:cheer:
Advertisements
Well, we found out today that we got clearance from the birth state, just waiting for clearance from MD! Not sure what to do tomorrow, we have to check out of the hotel by noon, or we get charged another day. I so want to just get on the road, they told us MD should be giving clearance tomorrow.
ChromaKelly
Well, we found out today that we got clearance from the birth state, just waiting for clearance from MD! Not sure what to do tomorrow, we have to check out of the hotel by noon, or we get charged another day. I so want to just get on the road, they told us MD should be giving clearance tomorrow.
YAY !!!! I know you are excited to get home, at the end I was just waiting waiting waiting for the phone call that we could go home - lol. I know with us our attorney requested that they just do a verbal confirmation that way we didnt have to wait for them to overnight the clearance back or fax it whatever - they just called and told our attorney we were cleared to go home ! :)
gina.
Found out today the packet sat unopened on someone's desk in MD all day today. AAAHHH!!! At least it's there. I'm about all set with IL :)
Advertisements
This makes me laugh cry as I've been waiting 8+months to get to take baby home. I could do weeks standing on my head.
And now it has been nearly a year and a half and still not one peep from the icpc. The social workers here have tried emailing the receiving county and state with no reply. My baby girl is worth this and so much more but how can anyone expect us to live for years away from our home, family, life for this long and it not be a giant disadvantage to the baby when we are finally free to go home and she is taken from the only place she's known for so long?! I wish someone would just pick up our file and at least BEGIN the process.