Advertisements
Advertisements
Is there anyone out there that was in a maternity home in 1967 anywhere from Jan-Sept? I don't know which one, if there was more than one... I'm hoping someone that was there might be able help me. I know my BM was in a maternity home in Richmond, and I was born in Sept 67. I know this is a long shot- but right now, this is about all I have to go on. Also, I am not sure how accurate my information from CHS is. I can send a private message with what little info I have to anyone that might can help.
Thanks!
There was a maternity home in Richmond, called Seton House. It no longer operates. Deliveries were made at Richmond Memorial Hospital at the time. It is now called Regional Memorial and has relocated to Mechanicsville. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, you can send me a private message.
Advertisements
Thanks for the info. I thought there was one called Seton House but wasn't sure. I wasn't sure where the deliveries were done, or the name of a hospital that was the main one for the maternity home. Thanks again!
Yes, it was called Seton House. I had my son there in July of 1969. I gave birth at Richmond Memorial (now Regional Memorial). I spoke with a few people at the hospital about a month ago to try to get my records. I was told that all records from back then were destroyed. Please forgive me, what is CHS? My adoption was handles through Catholic Charities. I thought there was another maternity home in Richmond at that time--St.??. It all is so foggy-16, scared, pregnant and having to put my baby up for adoption--even after 39 years. I will say this-from MY perspective-if you HAD to be some place like that - it was a nice place! (GREAT food!)I wish you well in your search. Liz
Wow- all records destroyed- how convienent! Thats very sad. Have you found your child?
Seton House- I'll bet my BM was there... hoping that someone from 1967 will remember her... do you remember the other girls that were there when you were? Do you remember your child each year on his birthday? I have always wondered if she thinks of me.
CHS is Children's Home Society. Thanks so much for the info.
Advertisements
Why are you questioning the info you received from CHS? I was also adopted through CHS, having been born in Lynchburg VA in 1965. I finally decided to get my heritage summary from CHS this past August, and am now having CHS do a search for my birth mother. It was a little costly, but without having access to identifying info, it seemed the easiest way to go about searching. I have also heard that the adoptive parents can obtain a copy of the adoption record from the court that finalized the adoption, since they were plaintiffs in the case. So that could be a way of bypassing the court system. Good luck.
I guess hospitals can only keep records for so long. I don't know why I thought that they kept them forever. I wanted them so I would have some kind of proof that I was there and had a baby. I don't know what I was looking for.
I am VERY close to finding my birth son. I sent a letter to his adoptive father on Friday. (his adoptive mother passed away last year) My birth son is 39, so I hope he will just pass my contact info on. I have been holding my breath since Friday. I know the address is correct, I found a "letter to the editor" he wrote 2 weeks ago and included his address. I had very brief contact with my birth son in 1991, I called him directly after I found out where he was. Maybe I was wrong and should have gone through his parents, but he was 22 at the time. We spoke on the phone twice and exchanged pictures. Then my mail started to be returned. I never tried to contact him again. I may be wrong, but I think it may have been pressure from his adoptive Mother.
Then a month ago I found that he had registered here in 2005. But it was not him that registered, but an exgirlfriend. Through my conversation with her (she left her phone number in his profile) I found out where my birth son's adoptive father lived. I have no clue where my birth son lives.
What's so sad is that his adopted sister died in 2002, and I don't believe she had contact w/ her birth Mother.
Yes, I was in Seton House in 1969, but I can't remember anyone there except one girl, who's name was also "Liz", she gave birth 1 month prior to me.
Hi vagirl- I believe "Blankenb4" was involved w/ CHS, not me. I was a Seton House girl, my birth son's adoption was handled through Catholic Charities in 1969. I sometimes have a hard time following these messages. Liz
My questioning is based on gut instinct, a possible lead and one of these threads about how adoptee's info isn't correct and if "they" based their search on it, they would never have found their birth family.
Unfortunately, the idea of the adoptive parents petitioning the court won't work in my case. My daddy died in '91, and my amother left us before I was 2.
Maybe that suggestion will help someone else- it is a really great idea.
Thanks!
M
Advertisements
Well, I had decided to have CHS do a search for my birth mother, and they found out within a few days that she is deceased. She apparently passed away in 1975, when I was 10 years old!! That was a shock and total disappointment. They also know where the birth father is but I am not sure I am interested in contacting him. Interestingly enough, my birth mother's mom is still living at age 93. She is apparently still living at home with a relative, we will see if I am able to meet any maternal bio family - I sure hope so. I guess it is true, before deciding to do a search you have to be prepared to handle any outcome.
Hi There-
My mother was at a home affiliated with the salvation army in the summer of 67- don't know the exact birth dates though. She had a baby boy. Want to compare notes?
-CB
Hi! Sure- all I know is my bm was 24, was at the salvation army home in richmond and I was born in sept. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle
Since your post was written eleven years ago, hopefully you long ago got the answer to your question and perhaps even reconnected with your birth mother. In case you haven't, I hope you check into this site once in a while and find my answer...
I stayed at Seton House January-April 1966, so not within the exact timeframe you mention. But I can confirm the existence of Seton House. My son and I connected through this site in 2006 or 2007, and this is literally the first time since then that I have visited Adoption.com.
M.
Advertisements
Hi Mary Lu. I found my birthmother thru ancestry dna. She was in the salvation army maternity home, Richmond, in 1967.
Thank you for answering my question!
Blessings
M
Hi Mary Lu,
Where was Seton house located? My aunt had a baby in 1966 in a "home in Richmond? Maybe Salvation Army home? Or va baptist home? Any help is appreciated!
Since your post was written eleven years ago, hopefully you long ago got the answer to your question and perhaps even reconnected with your birth mother. In case you haven't, I hope you check into this site once in a while and find my answer...
I stayed at Seton House January-April 1966, so not within the exact timeframe you mention. But I can confirm the existence of Seton House. My son and I connected through this site in 2006 or 2007, and this is literally the first time since then that I have visited Adoption.com.
M.