Advertisements
Advertisements
The volume of poppy seeds you'd have to eat is pretty staggering for it to cause a positive for opiates on a drug test. We're talking like 6 or 7 poppy seed bagels in an hour before you get a hit. A single roll or even a big slice of poppy seed bread/cake is not enough. (I'm basing this off a Ted Allen food test show I saw on TV this weekend. Clearly that makes me an expert.) ;D
Advertisements
EZ2Luv
I have heard just about every excuse under the sun for people having tests come up dirty
My favorite was the bdad who looked at the caseworker and the GAL with a totally straight face, and told them that he must be testing positive because he had sex with somebody who was using.
Dude.....sexually transmitted COCAINE?!?! :-)
suzyq18
Regarding the "poppy seed" one would have to take MASSIVE doses... pounds of seeds to test positive.
These lab tests are designed to filter and flag for illegal substances.
I have never seen a "false" positive in years I've had my employees test for drugs. I have seen "dilution" in urine where copius amounts of water is consumed with the hopes that the substance will be flushed out. It just alerts me to issues.
FOOD DETECTIVE with Ted Allen just did a story on that. He had several people as test subjects. One ate a poppy seed bagel. One had a poppy seed cake filled with poppy seeds. The bagel person came back "clean" but the cake person came back "positive". Then they did a test where a person kept eating poppy seed bagels (one after another) and was tested after each bagel. I think she had to eat 11 bagels in order to fail the test. Not sure, though
bluebird38
If a person has their children removed from them for failing a drug test and says that it was because they were taking non-prescription cold medicine, could they get their children returned to them? I am talking about if this person's children were removed from them before because of a drug addiction problem and they again have failed a drug test during a home trial period. How likely is it that the cw or even the judge will believe that they weren't using again.
:thanks:
With someone who already has a history of drug use, I would say they would get no chance to explain it away. The poor kids are going back into care. I hope the former foster parents can take them.
EZ2Luv
No way would a non prescription OTC cold medicine yeild a positve drug screen.
This is a VERY common excuse and while I understand why this person would want to deny and justify, it simply is not possible. Especially given their past history.
I have heard just about every excuse under the sun for people having tests come up dirty,
The only way a cold medication would yeild a positive test is if it were a prescribed medication for instance codiene based but NEVER an OTC.
Do you know what the test showed positive for? Opiates,ect?
As I always tell my patients, "Tests don't lie, people do" It would be better if the person just came clean with the truth and then get the services they need so that it does not happen again.
Mommy2fiveplus,
I too work in an out paitient substance abuse clinic(methadone) and we use both oral swabs ad uas (piss quizes). I find the tests to be accurate.
EZ
Just wondering since I have someone to ask now:evilgrin: .
Would taking a lot of OTC cold medicine cause a positive meth test (since meth is often produced with this?) Also, could taking lots of OTC medicine produce a meth like high? I'm sure it wouldn't be the same, but I wondered if it would give a speed like effect.
I was just wondering because my children's mom takes tons of both prescription pain pills, and also OTC stuff (I think for "allergies"). To be honest, I don't know what kind of allergy med's she's taken but given her history of drug abuse, and my new found knowledge that meth is sometimes produced with ephedrine or psuedoephedrine, I was wondering if she could be abusing the cold/allergy med's as well.
Advertisements
Many OTC cold alergy drugs are taken in conjunction with methadone to enhance the methadone high to mimic heroin.. Prescription pain pills and some OTC cold meds will definately produce a high. Benedryl OTC is know to make some people drowsy and different OTC drug affect people differently. I do know that Ephedrine drugs can cause jitters and a speed like feeling for mone people too. My guess is if she is an addct with a past history of drug use, unless she has one heck of a cold, she is trying to find something that will mimic a high.
Also, some addicts just like to take pills, it is a mental thing where they think the pills will make them feel good.
Don't forget even if an addict is given prescription pain meds, they will more frequent than not try and get high using the medication.
EZ
Boulderbabe
My favorite was the bdad who looked at the caseworker and the GAL with a totally straight face, and told them that he must be testing positive because he had sex with somebody who was using.
Dude.....sexually transmitted COCAINE?!?! :-)
ROFLOL! The only story I've heard was from my children's birth mom, and after her first positive Cocaine test, she said it was from being in the same room where they were smoking it. She said it had to be wrong because her drug of choice was Meth. Later she had a drug test done at the hospital to prove that she was clean...but she didn't have them test her for cocaine! Since then there's been probably at least 4 more positive tests.
EZ2Luv
Many OTC cold alergy drugs are taken in conjunction with methadone to enhance the methadone high to mimic heroin.. Prescription pain pills and some OTC cold meds will definately produce a high. Benedryl OTC is know to make some people drowsy and different OTC drug affect people differently. I do know that Ephedrine drugs can cause jitters and a speed like feeling for mone people too. My guess is if she is an addct with a past history of drug use, unless she has one heck of a cold, she is trying to find something that will mimic a high.
Also, some addicts just like to take pills, it is a mental thing where they think the pills will make them feel good.
Don't forget even if an addict is given prescription pain meds, they will more frequent than not try and get high using the medication.
EZ
Very interesting. It's funny that her caseworkers has not addressed this...even though the review panel said that DFCS needed to. They said she had over 12 prescriptions for pain pills and bottles and bottles of the stuff. I would think she was just selling it, except they say she tests positive for the pain meds every time.
Truth be told, Many doctors who precribe pain meds are doing drug tests to confirm that the patient is in fact taking the drug. The market for illegal drugs and narcitics is so large and profitable for the economucally challenged. You would be suprised at the number of peoplewho obtain narcotics for the soul purpose of selling them. This is espeially true of those who go methadone. The continue to doctor shop to sell the pills.
Bear in mind, I do not know the person you are speaking of but my guess is she is using the pain meds and the OTCs to enhance the high. Where there is so many prescriptions she is probably selling some too. Here is teh thing, because she does have a legal prescription, there is little that could be done. In other words, the legal prescriptions basically are giving her the green light to use.
If this happened to one of our patients, we would have them sign a release to speak with the doctor who wrote the presdriptions. There is a very strong possibility he is unaware that this person has a history of addiction.
EZ
Advertisements
bluebird38
If a person has their children removed from them for failing a drug test and says that it was because they were taking non-prescription cold medicine, could they get their children returned to them?
Aside from the question of whether the drug test was accurate or not, there is the question of whether they could have their children returned or not.... which is up to the judge. We've dealt with a judge who believed that "relapse is part of recovery" and returned children to addicts who had relapsed. So, sadly, one failed drug test might not be enough.
EZ2Luv
Truth be told, Many doctors who precribe pain meds are doing drug tests to confirm that the patient is in fact taking the drug. The market for illegal drugs and narcitics is so large and profitable for the economucally challenged. You would be suprised at the number of peoplewho obtain narcotics for the soul purpose of selling them. This is espeially true of those who go methadone. The continue to doctor shop to sell the pills.
Bear in mind, I do not know the person you are speaking of but my guess is she is using the pain meds and the OTCs to enhance the high. Where there is so many prescriptions she is probably selling some too. Here is teh thing, because she does have a legal prescription, there is little that could be done. In other words, the legal prescriptions basically are giving her the green light to use.
If this happened to one of our patients, we would have them sign a release to speak with the doctor who wrote the presdriptions. There is a very strong possibility he is unaware that this person has a history of addiction.
EZ
She obtains her perscriptions by going to different hospital emergency rooms, and claims to be in pain due to her teeth. From my understanding her teeth are really bad from the meth, so I don't doubt they are hurting. It just seemed odd to me that she would have 12+ perscriptions UNFILLED to show the panel back in November last year... Why would she be going from hospital to hospital to get perscriptions and then not fill them? Made no sense to me.