Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all, my name is Keith and this is my first time here. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some advice. Me and my wife have been married for 6 years now. Before we got together she had a daughter. The "father" legally sign over all his rights so he would not have to pay child support. So my wife has sole legal custody. The paper work was filed in Nevada. We still currently reside in Nevada. Me and my my wife have talked it over with my daughter who is 9( she is my daughter I have raised her since three and she calls me dad ) and she is ready to change her last name to mine. So my question is how do I go about adopting her legally? I talked to a lawyer and he said it would cost $1500. That seemed outrageous to me since the adoption would not be contested, and the hard part of getting the bio dad to sign over rights is already done. So is this something I can do on my own? Or is 1500 dollars average for this sort of adoption? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.
KnRmcintyre, welcome to the forum.
My suggestion for your evaluation is that you use a lawyer.
Many lawyers offer a free 1st consultation to see if there is enough evidence to go to court.
At the time of that consultation, you can ask what the charges would be. If you feel they are more than you want to pay, you can move on and see other attorneys.
I wish you the best.
Advertisements
Also you're in the Adoptee Support section, which is for adults who want to talk about issues related to having been adopted as children.
You're welcome to post here.
BUT, if you go under the Adoptive Parents section, you'll probably find people who know more about the ins and outs of adoption lawyers and adoption costs.
Have you 'Googled' Nevada Step Parent or General Adoptions Online?
There should be Court Documents to Represent yourself with Pro Persona??
Good Luck and Best Wishes to your Family!!
Juli