Advertisements
Advertisements
We're always looking for songs that promote attachment with our 4- and 5-year-old daughters who came to us through foster care. I found a winner on a children's album by Collin Raye. The album is called "Counting Sheep." I wasn't familiar with Collin Raye, but he's a country singer and he wins my applause with this song! The song is "I'm Gonna Love You." Read the lyrics and see why I love singing this upbeat tune with my girls! [url=http://www.collinraye.com/index.htm?id=11378&inc=7&album_id=864#7350]Collin Raye :: Music :: Official Artist Site[/url]
Another one... When our daughters first came to us, I wanted to sing them "baby" songs as I rocked them but they were old enough to notice that the words to "Rock a Bye Baby" were a little twisted! So I wrote these attachment-oriented lyrics. Same tune.
Rock a bye, baby, I love you so
I'll keep you warm when the wind blows
When the rain falls, I'll cover your head
And softly I'll lay you down in your bed
(Now it's our favorite song!)
Advertisements
Mark Schultz "Everything To Me" He's a Christian artist who was adopted and sings a song to his birth mother thanking her for giving him up because through her selfless gift she gave "everything to me (him)".
And, a personal favorite is Elton John's "You'll Be Blessed", which I plan to sing to my child whenever we get placement (after classes of course). As we struggled with infertillity it really made me think about my desires for a child and what I wanted for that child, and the song says it beautifully.
Someone on the board recommended "Family Garden" CD by John McCutcheon some years ago, and we liked it alot. One of the songs on the CD is Happy Adoption Day.
I don't remember the title but there is some music that is more specifically for attachment, I think it is based on traditional songs and games (like pattycake) but with improved words as necessary.
To Rock-a-bye-baby
Hers were this...
Rock-a-bye baby on the tree top
When the wind blows the cradle will rock
When the bough bends the cradle will too
But God will keep baby safe through and through.
I still sing it that way to this day.
One of our faves is an oldie but a goodie - My Girl - from the Temptations!!
I love the line "I got sooooo much honey - the bees envy me..."
DD#1 got You are the sunshine of my life - stevie wonder, but DD#2 gets my girl....
We're big motown fans, can;tcha tell??
Advertisements
Dar Williams - The One Who Knows
(You can find it on youtube I believe)
It is an amazing song, I sing or play it for my kids at bedtime every night. sample lyrics: "Time it was i had a dream, and you're that dream come true... if I had the world to give, I would give it all to you. I will take you to the mountain, I will take you to the sea, I'll show you how this life became a miracle to me. You'll fly away, but take my hand unti lthat day. And when they ask how far love goes, when my job's done you'll be the one who knows"
I love it, because I think it fits for my foster kiddos too-- that is exactly what I am trying to teach them, that I can love them with all of my heart until the day they go, and then they can leave and (I hope!) Still remember that I was here adn that i loved them.
Appalachian Lullaby by Nicolette Larson. It references "the sky in your eyes and the sun in your hair" which might need to be changed depending on the child's features. A sample can be heard on Amazon.
Sample lyrics:
"I have just one wish for you: may your every dream come true.
Sleep my baby, the angels keep you from harm, and your Father above cradles you in his love, safe and warm.
Sleep my baby, nestled in your mama's arms. Sleep my baby. The angels keep you from harm."
Nicolette Larson's From the Moment I Saw You would also be appropriate. It doesn't reference babies so it can be used at any age.
Why Walk When You Can Fly? by Andrew Peterson which I found on YouTube is very encouraging.
Thank Heaven For Little Girls by Rosemary Clooney. It references girls of 5 or 6 or 7 growing up in delightful ways.
You've Got a Friend in Me from Toy Store
You Belong To My Heart (Solamente Una Vez) as seen in Three Caballeros
I Don't Want to Live on the Moon by Shawn Colvin with Elmo
The Thankfulness Song from the VeggieTales alternates between the child and the mother expressing thankfulness for each other as well as other things
Silly Love Songs by Paul McCartney
My Guy by Mary Wells
Cheek to Cheek by Fred Astaire isn't a lullaby, but a good excuse to dance with and have physical contact with a child of any age
A Father's Love by George Strait
Wenn Du Bei Mir Bist by Wolfgang Petri
Say a Little Prayer for You
Ain't No Mountain by Marvin Gaye would be a good one for a child to associate with you when he gets out in the world, which would require singing it regularly before then
That's all I can think of right now to promote attachment.
Beautiful Boy by John Lennon, is an absolutely beautiful love song/lullaby John Lennon wrote to his son Shawn.
Any of Becky Bailey's stuff is great, her book I Love You Rituals & the accompanying CDs have many songs, games, re-written nursery rhymes, ect. to promote interaction & bonding.
Have to say I bought Nicoletta's "Sleep, Baby, Sleep" CD when I was a young pre-teen because it "spoke" to me so much & I was amazed at how intense a parent's love for a child could be (completely oblivious, of course, to the fact that my parents actually did love me, since I had disorganized attachment patterns at the time), with promises of "I will always be there"--within a few months she died, in part due to continued abuse of medications. I saw this as the ultimate betrayl & destroyed the CD. So skip telling your child the history behind the songs, but they did appeal to a barely attached 11 year old...
Advertisements
"It might be you" by Christopher Cross ( I think?) is the theme song for tootsie. Listen to it from a FC perspective? It will make you weep.
i found this when watching adoption vids on youtube
All I Want for Christmas" by Steven Curtis Chapman.
teary eyed the whole time lol
just thought id add
Advertisements
We love "The Best Thing" - Little Rock Starz Version
DH's is going to sing it at the adoption party. Trying to figure out how to do it w/o crying
Always knew
I'd find someone
I never dreamt
It'd be like this
You've surpassed
All that I've hoped for (and ever wished)
And I'm tryin'
So hard
With all my heart and mind
To make your life
As good as you've made mine
OK, I'm gonna cry again now.
Full lyrics here [url=http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/relientk/thebestthing.html]RELIENT K LYRICS - The Best Thing[/url]
We have been listening to "The Broken Road" by Rascal Flats and think it speaks about foster/adopt situations.
I also tend to change the words to the nursery rhyme song B-I-N-G-O.
We sing:
There was a Mommy who had a (Boy/Girl)
And *-*-*-*-* was (her/his) name o.
The only problem is that it works for five or maybe six lrtter names.