Advertisements
Advertisements
I am currently in the waiting period of our domestic adoption and am seriously considering beginning a lactation program in order to breastfeed our baby. Is anyone else in the Austin area thinking about adoptive breastfeeding or actually doing/done it? I'd really like some support and resource on this.:flower:
Hello,
I'm not in your area but I've done this and am still doing it! Our son was 5 months old when we picked him up and is just over 2 now. It has been just amazing!
I have tons of resources and stuff, so let me know what you are looking for and I'll try and help,
Karyn
Advertisements
KarynB
Hello,
I'm not in your area but I've done this and am still doing it! Our son was 5 months old when we picked him up and is just over 2 now. It has been just amazing!
I have tons of resources and stuff, so let me know what you are looking for and I'll try and help,
Karyn
Thank you! I have ordered a prescription of Yasim and doperamine, but am still waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I keep getting conflicting information about whether or not the medication will work and/or possibly getting into the baby's system. And I'm also not sure if I should start pumping now or not - I've read that until I actually have the baby, it won't be worth it. If I should start pumping, than is it really better that I buy the expensive electric pumps?
We are in the waiting period and have been told that a match could be as soon as a month or as long as a year, so I'm jsut not sure what the safest method for me or for baby will be. Do you have any recommendations on this front.
The last, but not least, topic I wanted to talk to someone about is how to address people who think adoptive breastfeeding is wrong or weird. Or that my milk isn't a "real" mother's breastmilk. Have you had to deal with comments or people like that?
Thank you again for any support/advice that you can give me. I really appreciate it!
Hi TXKIM,
I'll try and answer your questions here, and feel free to ask as many as you like!
The medications will absolutely work, there are many moms who have had great success with adoptive breastfeeding (ABF). I am one of them - my son was exclusively breastfed (BF) for a good part of his life. The problems is there are many ways to do it, and can depend according to your body and what your "goal" is. Do you want to have enough of a supply to exclusively BF? Is it mainly for bonding? How old will your baby be? Etc.
Ok, so - since you are not matched yet (is that right?), I would begin taking the dom and BC pills once they come. You have to take the BC pills continuously (no sugar pills) as it acts to "mimick" a pregnancy. Take these as long as you are waiting - I did it for about 6 months until we got our referral. Some do it for up to 2 years. The longer you are on the two pills, the more supply you will have when you start to pump. DON'T pump during this time - the purpose is just to build up tissue and supply.
Once you are matched - stop taking the BC pills. Add the herbs (fenugreek and blessed thistle) and start pumping. Most likely within a few days you'll be pumping milk. If you are matched with an already born baby, you may have to use supplementor until your supply comes in.
The meds are very innucuous - in fact dom is often prescribed to babies with gastro issues. You won't be on the BC pill once babe is nursing - so that won't get into their system either. There is a site called Kelly's mom (google it) that has a list of all the meds that are safe to take while nursing. From the research I've done - it seems like the industry has created a giant fear about taking meds while nursing, many of them don't affect baby at all. Of course some do, so you need to do research, but (IMO) people get way too worked up about this stuff.
In terms of other peoples opinions - best way to counter that is to become really educated about it yourself. Know why BF is best for baby (SO many reasons), your milk is THE SAME as any mom who gave birth except we don't produce colostrum - but high in protein, anti-bodies, etc. Know why it promotes attachment and bonding - because it does. Then you'll have lots of come-backs to address the nay-sayers. I've found most people who don't support ABF are people who don't support BF at all - so it is their ignorance which is not your problem! (-: Stay confident in the fact that you are doing what is best for your baby - and THAT is what matters at the end of the day.
I have never heard anyone say anything out right rude (and ours is a transracial adoption so its really obvious). A few have given weird looks, but most people just don't know it's even possible and so are just surprised. I did get a bit tired of having to explain it to everyone - and have so many people have SO much info about my breasts!!!
And there are a few people who think many things about adoption aren't "real" - not "real" parents, not "real" breastmilk. In the end, we can try to educate, but the best comeback of all is to stay reassured in your place in all this - you are a REAL mom doing what is BEST for your baby. Period!
Ok, I think I got all the questions? Did they just serve to raise more questions? (-:
Karyn
Hi, while searching "adoptive BF" I came upon your post. We are pursuing an open adoption and will be "in the book" in March 2009. I am also interested in adoptive breastfeeding and live north of Austin. I'm curious as to where you are at in the process now.
Thanks!
One more thing, does anyone know of an OB/GYN in the central Texas area who is supportive of adoptive breastfeeding?
Advertisements
Hi there, neighbor!
We submitted our portfolio to our adoption agency and officially started waiting to be chosen by a birth mother on November 16, 2008. (I need to update my signature.)
I started the Yasmin/Dom protocol in mid-October and have been religiously taking it ever since. It's been 3 months now, so I feel that any time I need to stop taking the Yasmin in order to let my milk come in would be ok. We could be chosen any day, tomorrow or in several months, so we are just preparing for tomorrow and hoping for the best.
I'm on a great Yahoo listserv for adoptive breastfeeding that has been a wealth of information - those ladies are pros! If you're interested, the group is called: 1ABSupportGroup. Also, as far as the AB protocol goes, I obtained most of my information from Ask Lenore: [url=http://asklenore.com/breastfeeding/abindex.html#adoptive_breastfeeding]Ask Lenore ~ Breastfeeding[/url], but I'm sure you've already found that site.
As of right now, I don't know of an AB supportive OB/GYN. This forum doesn't get much traffic, so I would just start calling around to OB/GYN offices in your area and inquire.
Once I get closer or actually doing breastfeeding, I plan to start attending La Leche meetings locally. Maybe I'll meet you there!
-Kim