Advertisements
Advertisements
Have you found your birth family? How long did it take? How many years did you search? Have you still not found them? Just wondering what the odds are..
I found my firstmom years ago and for me it was really easy but I don't think my situation is "the norm". I had my firstmom's full name and looked her up in the phone book and there she was.
Good luck!
Advertisements
Once I focused and was ready to search. I found my bmom in 2 months. I had some help with local search angels but I did it mostly using the internet. I had my non-id information for over 4 years. I found her with her first name and birth year. There were other clues like how many siblings she had and that she is irish and german. My search angel pulled a list of registered voters in my state with her first name and birth year. I had 78 women. I first eliminated the ones that were married prior to my birth and focused on the ones with irish or german last names. I kept coming back to one over and over. I knew it was her for about a month. I needed to find out if she had 3 siblings, with 2 being older and married at the time of my birth. My search angel found her dad's obituary and that nailed it. I wrote her a letter and mailed it on a friday and she emailed me Monday. So it can be done with very little information, intuition and some help with search angels. I do truly believe that if you are meant to find eachother again, you will.
I have read a few of your posts and you are still so young. I am 38 and my bmom just turned 60. We hopefully will have several years ahead of us to get to know eachother, work through all the emotions and get to a really good place. Please prepare yourself for any and all reaction if and when you do find her/them. I was not fully prepared for her pulling way back as she did. It really hurt but I have reached a place where I understand why and know that it's not me she is afraid of, it's her.
so hang in there!!
feb171983
Have you found your birth family? How long did it take? How many years did you search? Have you still not found them? Just wondering what the odds are..
Hi-I am a birthmom who recently found my daughter. She was posted on this site. I had opened her adoption records in Lansing Michigan. If she had ever inquired, my information would have been given to her. Have you ever inquired at the capital city of the state you were adopted in? A lot of birth parents start there. I have searched throughout the years but was surprised to find my daughter's info so easily on this website. The only info she provided was her first name at birth, her birthdate, and the city she was born in. I knew immediately it was her. If your birth parents are searching they will likely check here by your birthdate. Also, there is another national registery called 'internatioal soundex reunion registery'. That is a good place to leave your information and keep it updated,too. Good luck with your search. I will be meeting my daughter this Friday after 38 years of missing her so much.
No longer looking.
I know who the BM & BF are/were.
After searching for 18 years, one of the "biological parents" was long-dead and the other didn't want contact.
I got in touch with some more distant relatives, such as cousins, at least. I did home DNA tests to unravel the mystery. GARR was completely useless as they had lost my non-IDying info/file altogether back in 2007 or so.