Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My honest reaction is that I'm more worried about your feelings of disgust for this 4-year-old child than I am about her actions. I can understand you feeling disgusted or upset by what she did to her 3-year-old sister, but not for who she is, if that makes any sense. If this little kid is picking up on the fact that you feel disgusted with her, she could really be traumatized by the shame. She's awfully young to have to deal with that level of toxic shame and guilt.
It sounds like maybe you're being triggered big-time about your own childhood. It's important not to project your own issues onto her, IMO. I do understand why her behavior is unsettling and worrisome to both you and your husband. I'd just really hate to see this become a permanent source of shame and guilt for this little girl.
Do you know if this child ever experienced sexual abuse of any kind? If not, has she witnessed anybody else being abused? I ask this because an extended family member of mine witnessed his mother being raped by his father when he was around 3 years old. A couple years later, another family member walked in on him humping his cousin who was the same age. I wondered at the time if he was reenacting the trauma of seeing his dad rape his mom.