Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Gatos
The term "orphan" is, in part, what is wrong with the system. These children are not orphaned. They are placed for adoption because their parents know exactly what their fate will be if they stay in a country that cannot give gainful employment to them. It will not educate them. It will not give them medical care. And, if they are murdered, it will not even send the police out to look for their killer. Many birthmothers are seeking a way out for their children of a life they have found so unbearably difficult. That is part of the reason why when adoptions shut down in these countries, the available children "disappear". They don't disappear. They live with their parents. And by 5 years old, almost half of them have died.
First, I would like to know where you got your statistics. I always like to see those numbers myself.
Secondly, the author did not say that there were not legitimate adoptions, but that the system does breed corruption. She gave enough examples of it. Do you believe that these examples were fabricated?
BTW, I work with the "working poor". Many of the people I work with cannot find medical care or gainful employment. I know a family of six trying to live off minimum wage. One in 4 children in the US are living below the poverty line. The problems you cite are happening in communities all over the US too.
The Anne Casey Foundation put together the following from statistics gathered by the US government.
"The following statistics, based on information presented in the Data Book, describe what happened in a typical day in 2001 (except where noted).
• 846 low-birthweight babies were born
• 76 infants (under age 1) died
• 33 children ages 1–14 died
• 18 teens died from accidents
• 5 teens died from homicide
• 4 teens committed suicide
• Almost 400 children were born to females
ages 15–17
• In an average day, between 2000 and 2002, 750
children were added to the poverty population
• In an average day, between 2000 and 2002, 1,680
children were added to the count of families where
no parent has full-time, year-round employment.
The US has the highest number of children living in poverty among "First World" nations. Social assistance programs account for 2% of the US budget. Yet, in the US, it is considered unethical for a child to be separated from his or her family only for financial reasons. People in adoption reform are fighting to increase options to woman in crisis.
While I respect your children's birthmom's decision, I find it horrible that she had to make it. It reminds me of a remark one adoptee had when his adoptive mom told him that his birthmother placed him because she did not have enough mo ney to raise him. He said, "Why didn't you just give her some money?"