Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Perfect7
I limit physical contact to hugging only family members when it comes to my children. In my line of work I see a lot of perverts, and nobody knows if it's the neighbor, the school coach, the bus driver, etc. So with my children they know not to hug anyone except a family member. If others do not like it, too bad. I am keeping my children safe. When they are older, they will learn to distinguish between good hugs and bad hugs and can make their own decisions. I'd rather be overly cautious than have one of my children victimized. So, I don't think it applies to just children who were SA. When it comes to being a mom, you have to go with your gut feeling on what is right. I think our children are more important than other people's opinions. :-)
This is part of the reason I homeschool. You DON'T know who is a pervert and who isn't. Last year, there was not a month that went by that we didn't hear of a teacher on the news in the metro Atlanta area, that had molested one of their students. So in short I agree with your reasoning.
To the original poster, you and your husband are the ones responsible for this precious child. I think you are perfectly within reason to limit the amount or type of contact your daughter has with anyone. I always stressed to my kids (girls and boys) that they didn't have to hug or kiss anyone...if they weren't comfortable with it. At church, I taught them to shake hands instead. I also taught them to listen to their "vibes" if a person didn't seem right. I know this isn't the same as your situation but my point is, we all have to make judgments as to what's appropriate for our kids.
Kuddo's to you for doing what's best, in spite of the criticism you experienced! :clap: