Advertisements
Advertisements
I just wanted to lend my support and say vote NO on Prop 8!!! Although I am not in California anymore it is my home state and SF is my home town. To me it's a basic civial rights issue. Not that long ago it was also illegal to be in an interracial marriage as well! I want to teach my son that I support his right to do what he wants in the future.
CA do the right thing and VOTE NO on 8!!!!
Advertisements
I echo your sentiments, Supa! Most of the money flowing into the advertising in favor of outlawing same-sex marriage here in California is coming from out of state, namely from a certain religious organization in Utah. It's frustrating and hateful. It's fine if they want to outlaw it in their own state, but not in mine.
This proud mother of a gay son is praying that Prop 8 is defeated tomorrow. My son and his partner of 12 years deserve no less than other adults, IMO.
We recently flew all the way to San Francisco to be with my bIL for his wedding to his same-sex partner.
I am for gay marriage. I also think with our economy in shambles and with many folks doubting the war in Iraq, there are so many issues that are much more important than gay marriage to deal with at this point..
Amy K, NJ
I am always completely stumped when I listen to advertisements or read editorials about how same-sex marriage will erode the sanctity of marriage.
If anything is a threat to the sanctity of marriage, it is DIVORCE. If the people condemning gay marriage really want to strengthen sanctity of marriage, then focus on reducing divorce rates in this country. Make the divorce laws harder, especially in cases where children are involved.
While they're at it, they could bring back laws against adultery. There's plenty of opportunities to prevent the erosion of "family values", namely by cleaning one's own house.
Gays and lesbians being committed to one another in monogamous relationships truely do not represent a threat to anyone who is in a heterosexual marriage. It boggles my mind...
First of all I want to say that my cousin is openly gay and was married on a cruise ship in a place where I guess it is legal. While I love my cousin, LOVE my cousin, and feel he has the right to make his own relationship deicisions, I do not support gay marriage. And I know I will really ruffle a lot of feathers in saying this. You talk about divorce, and I agree, people are quick to jump OUT of their marriages but that is not the issue with people. The issue with people that are against same-sex marriage is typically that they do not believe it should be called marriage. It is a biblical thing to many of us, like it is to me, and for me marriage is between a man and a woman. Like I said, that doesn't mean that I take issue with people that are gay. I don't. That is their decision and not for me to judge. But I am a very educated, conservative Republican and my religious beliefs for sure play a part in my politics and my beliefs.
I just wanted to say WHY many have issue with it. I also live in a conservative state. I am not looking to be flamed here, I am entitled to my belief and have surely read a TON on this forum that has made me upset. I just wanted to give the other side's view. Take it for what you want. But for me, and actually everyone I know besides my cousin, we all believe marriage should be between a man and a woman and trust me, I am the minority Repub in my circle, 90% of my friends and family are Democrats and they still have this same stance on the marriage definition.
Advertisements
If marriage is being defined by its religious implications, then what about the many, many weddings that are conducted every day in this country outside of a church? Namely, civil marriages.
I've heard many people oppose gay marriage on the grounds that marriage is an institution for the procreation of children. What does that mean for infertile couples who don't want to adopt children? Is their marriage less sanctified than their neighbors who have children?
Just curious....
ETA: Thank you for telling me your viewpoint. I respect everyone's right to their own opinions. That's one of the great things about living in this country.
Mindybeth6
But for me, and actually everyone I know besides my cousin, we all believe marriage should be between a man and a woman.
I'm curious, and I'm not flaming you at all. Why do you believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman?
I have several friends who believe that way also (I don't) but none can actually articulate why they believe it.
Mindybeth6
It is a biblical thing to many of us, like it is to me, and for me marriage is between a man and a woman.
I thought she did articulate it. I think the 'term' is what is most difficult for many to get past. I also do not support gay marriage, but I have many gay/lesbian friends or family who are in long-term committed relationships. And I think those relationships are entitled to some benefits and protections.
One thing that concerns me about the issue - besides the Biblical aspect, which for me is foremost - is that if the U.S. starts to redefine convention, where does it stop? I'm not against change, but I am against opening a Pandora's box - not just with this issue but many others, as well. If we define 'marriage' as a committed relationship between consenting adults, then how could we deny those who believe in polygamy their rights as well? And what would be the 'next' personal reference to crop up and want state and federal protections? Now some folks are going to say that marriage should only be between 2 consenting adults. OK. Why? If they are adults and they are consenting, then why would the number matter? And if a number no longer has significance, who has the right to say at what age someone becomes an adult? I know many 12-year-olds who are lightyears more mature than a whole lot of 20-somethings. Why should they be denied certain rights based solely on a number?
A single issue is rarely a single issue.
ah, the ''slippery slope'' argument...i have even heard people say, if we allow this, why not marriage to goats...these kinds of arguments take the focus off the main point: gays are not equal citizens right now and if you believe that should be the case, just say so. thankfully, gay marriage has been legal for some years in ma and no, the sky has not fallen.
Advertisements
loveajax
ah, the ''slippery slope'' argument...i have even heard people say, if we allow this, why not marriage to goats...these kinds of arguments take the focus off the main point: gays are not equal citizens right now and if you believe that should be the case, just say so. thankfully, gay marriage has been legal for some years in ma and no, the sky has not fallen.
Exactly... And like i said before being an AA woman married to a CC man less than 40 years ago in some states we would be arrested for marrying!!! I was not considered an equal citizen.
I stated my point rather succinctly. If it does not fit into your definition of what you think my point should be, there's not much I can do about that. I've heard the 'goat' reference. Most hyperbole is intended as sarcasm.
I'm not gay. I am not ever going to be gay. I am also never going to marry someone who is gay.
These are my choices.
I am so thankful that I get to make them.
I wish everyone were free to make the choice that works for them.
I am "PRO CHOICE" in every sense of the word - that includes a person's right to chose who they want to marry.
If a church/faith doesn't want to marry gays and lesbians - fine, let that be their choice - but keep the lawmakers out of my pulpit.
I am in Arizona and this is a ballot issue this year - Prop 102 will amend the Arizona Constitution to make Gay Marriage unrecognized...(wording changed)
Mindy,
Just curious too (and not flaming you either) but what about people who don't share your religious beliefs? Why should they be denied marriage because a certain faith says it is "wrong"? Why not allow civil ceremonies to take place to ensure equal rights?
As well, in terms of the slippery slope fallacy - we have also had gay marriages here in Canada for years now, and the sky has not fallen here either! Phew, close one...:evilgrin:
And I agree with Brandy - although I am not gay nor do I intend to marry a gay person, I would never think to tell someone else they don't have the right to.
Advertisements
Bcelli
One thing that concerns me about the issue - besides the Biblical aspect, which for me is foremost - is that if the U.S. starts to redefine convention, where does it stop? I'm not against change, but I am against opening a Pandora's box - not just with this issue but many others, as well. If we define 'marriage' as a committed relationship between consenting adults, then how could we deny those who believe in polygamy their rights as well? And what would be the 'next' personal reference to crop up and want state and federal protections? Now some folks are going to say that marriage should only be between 2 consenting adults. OK. Why? If they are adults and they are consenting, then why would the number matter? And if a number no longer has significance, who has the right to say at what age someone becomes an adult? I know many 12-year-olds who are lightyears more mature than a whole lot of 20-somethings. Why should they be denied certain rights based solely on a number?
A single issue is rarely a single issue.
Hi Bcelli,
I guess I don't believe that the slippery slope argument is really valid. Or rather, in the legal system and our government in general we are ALWAYS setting and resetting where bright lines are drawn in terms of defining citizens' rights and responsibilities. Why in this case is the "slope" suddenly so steep?
I often think in fact the opposite is true. Because we are I believe at heart a conservative country that is resistent to change - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it takes decades and in some cases centuries to fix matters when there is a fundamental injustice inherent in our system. Like Supa said, not so many years ago it would have been illegal for her to marry her husband. Yet our country finally reached a point where we realized that restricting marriage because of race was inherently wrong and a violation of people's rights. I believe that our country is very slowly reaching the same understanding about gay marriage. But I'm far more worried that it will take decades more then I am about a slippery slope.
For me, I think an interesting question that I've grappled with is, why does the government have a role in marriage at all? Why doesn't the government provide civil unions for all?
And finally, I think the REAL threat to the institution of marriage plagueing this country are shows like "The Bachelor" and "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire." :arrow:
God wants us to love each other. He does not want us to judge each other. He wants us each to save our own souls -- I suspect that's a big enough job for each and every one of us. I'm behind any couple who is committed to each other. "Commitment", to me, has taken a back seat to less important issues.
And I'm with Supa on this one -- I wouldn't have been able to marry my husband just a few years ago. So if you're not gay, don't marry someone of the same sex. If you believe that abortion is wrong for you, don't have an abortion You'll have plenty of chances to get your kudos from your higher power. If you call yourself a "Christian", (IMHO), let Christ do the judging.