Advertisements
Advertisements
We are in the process of adopting an AA baby, a newborn. We may or may not get to name her but if we do, I have been thinking of choosing an African name rather than a "white" name.
I don't want to saddle her with a name nobody can spell or understand though, but I want a meaningful name for her that tells her I am proud of her race.
Any thoughts?
Did anyone else choose an ethnic name? glad? regrets?
Oh, and some front runners are: Imani (faith), Zuri (beautiful), and Kendi (loved one)
My thoughts are these:
- What is your last name? Because whatever name you give should "match" it, in some way.
- What are your other kids' names? If they're Katie and Jack, then Imani would stand way out.
- I don't think of names as "white" or "black". If your child were actually from Africa, I'd see the rationale. But this child is a Black American. Why not give her an American name?
Again, you asked for thoughts, and those are mine. That and $3.50 will get you some coffee at Starbucks.
:hippie:
Advertisements
If you know the ethnic origin of the bio family then I would look for names from that country in Africa. I adopted from Ethiopia so I knew her country. My 2 favorite girl names from Ethiopia right now are Ayana (flower) and Tizita (memory).
Samantha
Thanks for your ideas and input. Our last name is REALLY tough to get anything to sound good with it. That's definitely a problem.
Right now we're pretty much at a loss as to choosing a name. Naming our bio daughter was equally hard though so I think it is just that we have trouble deciding on a name. We want it to be so "perfect" and "special" we can't ever decide!
My son was much easier. There was only one name that was on both our lists so that's the one he got! :)
I would look at possible African American's who have been significant in history. There are so many, but a look on goggle will give you lots of websites with names. Rosa Parks, Mae Jemison, Maya Angelou, Lena Horne, Gwendolyn Brooks and Coretta Scott King, just to name a few of my favorites.
There are names that don't apply to any one race. Leah, Mia, Gia. I understand what you're saying about "white" names but you want your child to have a name that's easy for other people to pronounce.
Advertisements
I love the names you listed. You might want to take note of the kinds of names that African-American children in your neighborhood/social circles/area have. Do they tend toward Afro-Centric names or traditional American names?
My daughter's name is not African, but it is pretty recognizeable as African-American.
My issue right now is that all of her African-American friends with highly textured hair have relaxed hair, and I really don't want to use chemicals on her hair. She's only 5! So there is this fine line with her fitting in culturally with other children of her race and reflecting your family's style and desires. I think it will be a long term dance around that line......
Thanks!! Plus the problem with an African name is prospective employers/teachers will know and it may not necessarily be an asset, KWIM?? Please don't relax your daughter's hair. I'll PM you. there are products that will bring out the natural curl/wave without hurting the hair.
Why not look for a name that is mainstream AND AA.
For example the name "Gina" sounds Italian (like Gina Lollobrigida), but it is also a Japanese girl's name meaning "silvery".
My youngest daughter's second middle name is Amani which means peace in Swahili. I love that name.
Advertisements
Just because your child will be AA doesn't mean that she has to have an African name. I'm AA and my name is Chloe. I love the fact that my name is so main stream, so far every school I've attended and every job I had I have been the only Chloe there. Do you know how many Latoya's, Keisha's and Tawana's I grew up with now most of those same women are naming their children names like Justin, Taylor, Mikayla, Olivia, Morgan, Jayden and Gabrielle. If you find a girl's name that you like and it goes with your last name than I suggest that become your daughter's name. Good luck
As an AA woman... I can tell u I have no connection to Africa. My family goes back to the early 1800 s here. And I have no idea where they came from. Which is further or the same as many white people.
Your daughter is American... and is a part of your family... so name her according to ur family ... agree with pp ... a keshia in a family of Jane's and bobs would make her feel weird.
On the other hand the names you mentioned were rally pretty... but seriously... I wouldn't have known they were African until you told us. ;)
I didn't choose a name for my son based on his ethnicity. I wanted a name that told him he belongs in my family. Family names are big in my family, so I named him for someone who was very special to me and who I wish he could have known. His bparents were thrilled with that idea, because it told them that he was going to be loved in the same way bio family members are.
I'm with "Sol". My husband is a black man. It wasn't important to anyone in his family to have an African name so we named our children according to the name we liked. Our children all have names that are ethnically ambiguous and we've been very happy with the names we chose, as are our children. I think that some transracial adoptive families go a bit far in the fear that their children won't be "black enough." We raise our children to get along with others of many races, religions and backgrounds. So far it's worked well.
Advertisements
I'm agreeing with Sol on this one.. I'm AA and my name is Nicole... my given name at birth was Rachel.... All names have meaning, all you have to do is find a name that "fits" into your family. To give a child a certain name because of their race IS making them stand out. Did you give your other children CC name because their CC no.