Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
bethy724
"I have a question. what is an adoption subsidy? do people really adopt and then get money to raise the child? I guess we've just felt that if you adopt, you need to be able to provide for the child's needs."
You may want to realize the tone of your question (I didn't know how to "quote " it) If you are not from TX, have never foster/adopted you may be uninformed, uneducated or just ignorant about the children that come into care & may not intend to offend those of us who have adopted thru foster care in TX. Children aren't taken by the state for no reason - they have SERIOUS issues to be available for adoption (years of court, meetings & finally TPR or voluntary relinquishment) Because of SERIOUS issues not many people want or choose to adopt (again thru ignorance - never met a foster child-they are still human beings that deserve a family/home) The issues may require health care (drug exposed babies have a LIFETIME of side affects in some cases) & the state of TX offers Medicaide to lift the expenses of the adoptive parents. I don't know any parent that wouldn't adopt their child if the Medicaid wasn't offered but it does help. OF COURSE we can afford to provide for our children - the state just has had years (& thousands of children) not being adopted & have offered to help to ensure a child have a family. Since you don't even know what an adoption subsidy is you may want to educate yourself on it & the reasons it is offered thru the DFPS web site.
To answer the original posters question - sibling sets are elegible for the subsidy - I think it really depends on who gets your paper work & their mood that day-I got a happy person - phew!!! $400 is the most you can get per child (some people get less) I was also re-imbursed for the lawyer ($1,500.00) & your children are elegible for free tuition in any state college in TX. These children have been thru H&ll & back & deserve everything they get from the state that probably assisted in their abuse/neglect by letting it happen so long before stepping in. There may be some bad apples in foster care (for the little $$ we get) but most of us spend a LOT more than we receive while we care for our children before the adoption-as a fp we know they can be removed anytime before the adoption yet we've invested our emotions & $$ (it's our job & what we signed up for I'm not complaining).
Yes, I know all about the low 'pay' for foster parents. I'm one myself. and I laugh when people say 'you can make money at that!' @@ however, I know in one particular case and probably others, texas creates problems for itself. I know of two girls that have been in care for over a year and a half and we'd gladly adopt them as we are foster parents in another state. we're even blood relatives but not 'close enough' for them to consider us. it's absolutely ridiculous and quite honestly, they could save a lot of money by placing them with us, we don't want subsidies or even daily allowances as they are family. They don't have 'horrible terrible problems either.' they were neglected by their mom and they've been put in a system that has failed them in their need for a permanant home. just my opinion of course.