Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi!
I am interested in volunteering with children waiting to be adopted near Oxford, OH. Although I know I would never be allowed to adopt myself, I look at the children from time to time and wish I could help. I've taught ESL in Czech Republic, and I notice a lot of children right here in Ohio seem to be from Slavic countries, because things didn't work out with their first placements here for some reason. Sometimes the reason seems to be a history of abuse, with which I am personally quite familiar. They have their diagnoses and I have mine, and I recognize most of their medications from having been on them myself. I did very well relating to older children and teens as a teacher, and those kids had very normal lives. I feel I could help kids who, like me, have not had the best lives, much more so than my students. After all, it was always my most troublesome students that I seemed to help the most in the long run.
Are there any volunteer organizations through which I could help these kids even though I can't adopt? One big problem is that I don't have a car or any money (SSI), which kinda rules out Big Brothers/Big Sisters, I think. Also, I am an agnostic Atheist, so about the only church I could volunteer in would be a Unitarian Universalist fellowship.
I just feel like I've carved out a really crazy niche in this world. If I can show these kids, who aren't much different from me, that all is not despair, despite what happened to them, that it would make a Hell of a difference in their lives.