Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hi there,
Vernelli did an excellent job and I thought I'd just chime in on the legal element of bonding assessments. A bonding assessment is typically done when Termination of Parental Rights is being sought based on the grounds of a child's "best interests." (There are several grounds that can be used to motion for TPR, i.e. abandonment, attempted murder, etc.) The "best interests" ground exists because NJ law recognizes children's attachment to foster parents as grounds for TPR when the plan of adoption "will not do more harm than good." While the child's parents' history, contact, lack of progress, etc. are all used to evidence a child is better off being adopted by his/her foster parent, a bonding assessment is the best evidence in court because it is conducted by an objective expert who assesses the bonds (or lack thereof) first hand and accounts for all aspects of the case.
If you have time, you can put together photos or a life book to show the evaluator. Also, If you've documented all contact throughout your time fostering your baby,(which I highly recommend), bring that documentation as well. DYFS doesn't always spell it out as well or as accurately as we do.
I concur that the best thing to do is relax but that's easy for me to say having never gone through one. Even so, I'm confident your bond will prevail. :)
Best wishes!
Jennifer