Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I finalized on an adoption in 9.25.08 and although we'd seen off the wall behavior with my son (5 @ placement, 7 now) it had all gradually stopped months before we finalized. There was never a question that he'd witnessed and endured a lot of abuse while in FOSTER care.
Just recently it's escalated to pooping out of anger, hitting me, making threats about "Rape" towards his sister (age 10) and myself. He's told me that he only behaved so I wouldn't send him back.
My son is in therapy and awaiting a psych consult. He has ODD, ADHD, tested positive for an extra Y chromosome and a genetic syndrome. He has a history of sexual behavior (touching others) and is very dominant... I'd even say that he enjoys demeaning women.
He has told us that he doesn't love us, has made false accusations about being abused in our home, makes sexual comments about everyone.
We've tried everyhing from time-outs, revoking privileges, taking toys, even cancelling our summer vacation. My husband and I must be with him at all times, and he has a "Shadow" at school because of his behavior.
He is currently in the behavior unit at school for stabbing a boy, knocking down a girl and banging her head on the floor, etc.
Someone please give me ideas on what to do. I desperately wish to help my son but I'm clueless on what else to try.
My hubby and I are both drained beyond belief.
I am sorry for what you are going through and for the things your son must have endured as a young child. I have no advise other than cross posting this onto both the foster and adoption forums. Some of them might have some experience with these types of behavioral issues. There also seems to be more posting activity there.
Advertisements
It sounds to me like classic Reactive Attachment Disorder. I would look in that direction, a good attachment therapist will give you technics to help you with the behaviors and to help your son to heal.
I would highly recommend that you cross post this on the Special Needs forum. [url]http://forums.adoption.com/special-needs-adoption/[/url]
There are a lot of people there with experience with behavior issues who can direct you towards help for you son.
Good luck!
OMG and I thought ours was bad. I can only say, I feel for you guys. My son is ODD, ADHD and Bipolar. He wants to get HIS way all the time. I'm a sack of nerves and my husband is also losing it. Our house is in disray ever since we adopted him. Sometimes we wish we could send him back. We got this boy when he was 18 months and raised him to age 5 as a foster child. He was returned to his mom - only to be back in the system 1 year later. He jumped from foster home to foster home until we found out and requested him. We filed all the papers to get him and we did. HOWEVER, we did not get our little boy back. The boy we got was a new person. Because we love him so much, we got him to therapy and all we could to help him. He made a 320 degree change and we adopted him. WELL, once he knew he was adopted, he completely changed on us and to this day, it's a nightmare. I feel for you. I wish we cold give him back.