Advertisements
Advertisements
I just want to let all of you know who live in SC that you can do this in most counties without an attorney, all forms are on line, and it is pretty simple to do! We had to use an atty for our sons back in 2005 b/c Georgetown county Family Court Judge required representation BUT we have moved and our new county, Darlington, was much nicer about it! We had our hearing date yesterday and all went well! I will be glad to direct you to the online forms and share any info we learned through this. With an atty it is around $2000 to do this--without one-- $200! You can do this yourself. It is not that hard. Feel free to PM me if you need any info.
Advertisements
Congrats!! I am from SC and still have family there and visit often. We just plunked down the big bucks for an attorney...similar situation. as your first...we didn't HAVE to have representation BUT they make it soooo much smoother that way. Oh well. I will be happy to have it done.
I am just beginning the process in Horry County. If you could PM me any information that you have, I would greatly appreciate it! We have our follow up visit with our social worker at the end of February. Thanks!
Hello,
I am also a SC resident and need to domesticate our son's adoption. It was back in Feb 2001 from Romania and we really haven't had a reason to domesticate but would like to now. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help :)
I sent a PM, btw...
Hi Franki h,
I got your PM and responded but went into my PM and my response wasn't there.. not sure what happened. What I said in my PM is that I need to send you the file by email b/c it is too big to PM. I gave you my email address to respond to me so I can attach it. I will try to PM you again and give you my email. Sorry for the confusion! :) Let me know by this thread if you don't get my PM, Thanks!
Kim
Advertisements
Hello, we are interested in doing the domestication ourselves in SC/South Carolina. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Does anyone know if this will also allow us to do a legal name change?
Our Family has Adopted Internationally 19 times.
I am not familiar with the terminology? That ya'll are using, but with a ' Certification of Citizenship,; or dependent on what type of Adoption VISA . The child or children came home on.
Yes, you can change the name,,,
The Chld Citizenship Act of 2000 made it so that all children adopted internationally into the US automatically became citizens. When you return to the US with your child, you'll need to finalize the adoption in the US and apply for a birth certificate and social security card. This is when you will be able to complete any name changes. Your agency should be able to help with this process. I wouldn't recommend doing it without a professional supporting you; this is something you want to make sure is done correctly!
I ' Ditto ' with rskousen.
Also, if it is not completed professionally or properly.
The child is automatically drafted into Armed Forces of Overseas Country. When of age and no matter what sex also!!
Advertisements
Our daughter is a citizen, but she has a foreign Birth certificate. In SC, if you want your child to have a U.S. issued birth certificate, which I think is critical in this day and age, you need to do either a readoption or domestication, the later you can do without an attorney. @clmehkids posted a few years ago that they had done the paperwork and it was easy. I'm having trouble with it and was seeking advice. And yes, I found out that Domestication does include a legal name change. (we use a different name for our daughter than what is on her BC.)
1 Liked
 likes this.
I would love to get all the info you have on doing this yourself. We live in SC and adopted from India. Any help you could give me would be appreciated!
I just want to let all of you know who live in SC that you can do this in most counties without an attorney, all forms are on line, and it is pretty simple to do! We had to use an atty for our sons back in 2005 b/c Georgetown county Family Court Judge required representation BUT we have moved and our new county, Darlington, was much nicer about it! We had our hearing date yesterday and all went well! I will be glad to direct you to the online forms and share any info we learned through this. With an atty it is around $2000 to do this--without one-- $200! You can do this yourself. It is not that hard. Feel free to PM me if you need any info.
Hi
Just some info you all may know but please please make sure you also go ahead and apply to get the Certificate of Citizenship for your children from USCIS. As soon as possible!
You May see that it is not required but it really is! Many agencies will only accept the Certificate of Citizenship. It is a very important document for your child to show proof of their US CITIZENSHIP.
When my husband died Social Security would not pay survivor benefits for my son and tried to tell me is was not a US Citizen which he has been since 2005 upon his final adoption! until they had the Certificate of Citizenship even though he was adopted at 3 months (several years ago now) and we readopted in the US and provided proof of final adoption. We also provided them his US passport but they only would accept the Certificate of Citizenship. It was a nightmare dealing with them here!
Advertisements