Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I am a contractor to the Federal program known as JOB CORPS. I am also an ex-foster kid from back in the late 60's early 70's.
I took this job because once I became aware of the program, I knew it would be a perfect resource for kids like me when they aged out of fostercare and if they didn't yet have a direction to college, self-sufficient employment or the military.
I would like to become a greater resource for anyone interested in the program, but I also need help with some research information.
I am preparing a presentation to a trade association and would like to accurately quote how many kids age out of foster care each year in the United States. How many of those are aging out with little or no direction of what to do next in their lives.
Please feel free to respond with resources here in the thread or privately, and I would be delighted to offer any assistance I can regarding Job Corps. To begin, ere is a brief outline of the program and some resources for more info.
JOB CORPS
Federal program, there is no cost to student or potential employer.
Anyone having been in fostercare would qualify, others need to meet certain economic criteria.
the program helps disadvantaged youth between the ages of 16 - 24 finish their basic education (H.S. Diploma or GED) AND teaches a vocational trade.
Trade offerings run the gambit of high demand occupations and include various specialties in healthcare, automotive, construction, clerical, culinary arts, and IT.
There is a driver education component to the program and most graduates leave with a drivers license.
Students can live on campus, and all food and necessary clothing is provided. basic healthcare and counseling is also available as needed.
The JC experience generally lasts about one year. Afterwards there is a host of avenues to assist a graduate find a job, get out on their own and/or continue their education.
[url=http://jobcorps.dol.gov/]U.S. Department of Labor - Job Corps[/url]