Advertisements
Advertisements
I've (finally) run across several Virginia and Metro DC folks who are adopting - in different ways and from different organizations. I thought it might be nice for us to have a thread to discuss our processes, local resources, educational programs...and generally support each other along the way.
Who's with me?
Hey everyone!! I am in jersey now, but will be moving to the area in a few months - taking a transfer for work. We have 2 wonderful daughters adopted domestically. Our agency has offices there in VA, although we used the Jersey branches for our adoptions!! Nice to meet you all!
Mega
Advertisements
Hey all! I'm not in the DC area, but live in central VA. I'd love to chat with some fellow Virginians on the adoption journey. DH and I are adopting domestically, and are home study approved- just waiting for the call. Good luck to everyone!
Hey, we are growing in numbers! Nice to meet everyone.
Mega - which agency did you use?
DancinBear63 - we are just getting our home study started. Some of the tasks seem challenging - fingerprints, etc. How long did it take you to complete your home study start to finish? Just curious.
Tyra
Adoptions from the heart. We could have ended up with babies from VA, but were placed with 2 Jersey girls (so we did not end up having to deal with interstate issues - which was great!!). DD#1 is 3.5, and DD#1 just turned 1 on Wednesday. We are excited about the move, but a little overwhelmed with the thought of selling a house right now - especially with two little mess makers!!
We'll be looking in the Fairfax area...
Where is everyone else??
Mega
Fairfax is a nice area (though it spans quite a bit of space, so I only know about chunks of it). I'm in Arlington, but right on the Arlington-Alexandria line. I've lived in the D.C. area off and on for 20 years, so I guess that makes it "home." Funny, I always said I'd never want to raise a child here, yet here we go!
I understand Fairfax has some good schools. Isn't there a ranking list somewhere of school districts? Does anyone know?
Where is everyone else?
We're using AdoptHelp and The Datz Foundation.
Advertisements
Hi everyone! I'm in northern Virginia as well - in Sterling, but I work in DC. We're just starting the process - still looking for agencies and deciding which route is right for us. We're leaning towards domestic, though.
Hi, All...I am in northern VA (Centreville). We adopted our son 10 years ago (domestic adoption) and if there is anything you'd like to know...fire away. We used the Barker Foundation.
Hey, welcome to "the neighborhood." You'll like the Woodbridge/Occoquan area. We're up in Arlington, but I used to live down your way. Great place to raise kids. :-)
Advertisements
Thanks!! I really needed to hear that - especially the part about raising kids!!! Dh will be a stay at home dad, so he will be looking at all sorts of fun things to do, especially with summer coming!! Work is in Fairfax, so I will be up in your neck of the woods every day!
Mega
Hi all,
I'm new to adoption! I am living in Woodbridge (welcome Mega!) and have 1 son with my husband. My husband is Coast Guard, and I am a wedding/portrait photographer-as well as stay at home with my son.
We weren't expecting to adopt...but have been faced with secondary infertility. It's hard to even know where to start in this process!
Would anyone mind telling me what agencies you used, and any experiences? I know it has to be through a PM. I'd appreciate it! :thanks:
Heather
Hey Heather!! We just moved in this past weekend - so far so good!! We used AFTH - they have an office in VA, but over in Chesapeake, not so close to Woodbridge.....
More later, gotta go fight the i95 traffic!!
Hi all! Glad to have found you, though I see not a lot of activity lately.... DH and I have been searching for over a year, and I'd like to look into using a facilitator (most agencies are out of our budget), but I understand that they're not quite legal in VA?
does anyone know about this or has used a facilitator? Would we actually get in trouble for using a facilitator, or would we simply not be able to claim the expense towards the adoption credit?
I've asked our attorney, but she just said to "err on the side of caution and stay away". That's not really legal advice, if you ask me.
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
I can be reached by email as well, anilorak13ska@hotmail.com.
Thanks!
Karolina
Advertisements