Advertisements
Advertisements
Last weekend I thought I might've found my daughter. It was a chance thing, I won't bore you with the details but I thought I might've located her through a message that'd been left to me somewhere else I'd never been before. Several things happened to me in that moment; none of which I was aware of at the time.
I immediately felt an unfamiliar twinge; one I'd left behind long ago on the steps of a courthouse. Hope. That was something I hadn't expected because it was relayed to me back then that she would never look for me, would never need to, that I would be long forgotten and unneeded and to simply go on with my life. So hope was a terrifying prospect and I didn't know what to do with it.
My codependent brain began to run its party line against the ideas that were formulating within. I thought about leaving a message for the woman who'd been my counselor briefly but my codepedent self told me I couldn't do that, that it was unethical and to leave her be. I thought about writing a post to everyone here but my codependent brain said that that was imposing on people who had their own problems. I think my mother's cynical voice was in there too telling me that "only the weak and cowardly spill their guts".
So I emailed a few people and then spent the next few days wanting to send them apologies for having the conceit to lean on them.
But that was over this past week. That evening however, sitting before my computer @ 12:30 a.m., I was stunned. I called to hubby who came running. He looked at the message that'd been left for me and immediately went on the defensive. He sat down and grabbed me softly by the shoulders and this is what he said to me,
"Baby this isn't your daughter. Remember what I do for a living. I see this all the time. People get other people's information and then they use to screw with people, to hurt them. They use it to hurt people like you."
People like me? I asked him if he meant birthmothers and he said, "No baby. Desperate people. You're desperate. You want to believe this is your daughter no matter what the evidence is to the contrary you want to believe it."
It was hard to hear my husband calling me desparate but only because deep down I knew he was right.
The days passed while I waited for word. I was embarrassed that I'd reached out to people, regretful that I hadn't reached out to one person here in particular, remorseful that I'd cut God out of the mix and angry that the past that'd sent me out into the street and to the choices I would make was flying up into my mind replaying itself over and over. Every heartbreaking violent detail of the life that'd led me where it led me. Every word, every smell, every feeling.
Somewhere in between all that I left a pot of potatoes on the stove to boil until all the water was gone and they were smoking. I just put them on and then forgot. Same thing happened the next day with a pot of spaghetti noodles.
I went out to get milk and then forgot what street I lived on. I left the dogs out in 14 degree weather because I forgot I'd let them out. Hubby was standing by saying that he was getting very worried for me. I was flying off the handle over the smallest of things. Insignificant little things like dropping an envelope were sending me into fits.
Someone in here sent me a PM saying that they'd noticed that I was upset and did I want to talk. But codependent brain said to me that that person was an Administrator. And in my corporate experience that equaled "Supervisor" and when your supervisor calls you to their office the correct response is "Sorry Boss. My Bad. Won't happen again." So instead of trusting someone, that's what I did. Sent a PM along those lines thereby cutting off help from someone who had knowledge to offer.
And at the end of all that a whispered voice. "Psst, Janey. This is the silence calling to you. I warned you that you wouldn't be able to handle all this. Didn't I say that? Why are you doing this to yourself? Why are you exposing yourself in that place? Admitting what it's been like? Talking about your life with all of this? Do you really think people want to hear? Come back into the silence where it's safe and warm and nobody knows you and you can hide and be numb and pretend. You can live out your life and wait for your children to find you but you don't have to inconvenience yourself and other people. People think you're crazy any way. Why prove them right? Keep your dignity. Stop talking. Come back to me where it's quiet and there's no mirrors; nothing to look into but velvet nothingness."
No. I can't. I can't live like a vampire again. Afraid of the truth of my own reflection. Afraid of the daylight. Living in a dank basement, living in a suffocating coffin with the undead; my memories of one lifetime lived in sorrow. I just can't.
I will talk even if no one hears my words, because I have to hear them. I just can't go back to the silence. I just can't.
Lord, I was dancin', dancin', dancin' so free
Dancin', dancin', dancin' so free
Dancin', Lord, keep your hand off me
Dancin' with Mr. D., with Mr. D., with Mr. D.
Will it be poison put in my glass
Will it be slow or will it be fast?
The Rolling Stones
Janey ~ You sound a lot like me…. That call of silence is powerful. Don’t listen to it. I understand exactly what you are saying. You are not imposing on anyone. I am learning that it is the strong survivors that seek help. I think that when we need support the most is when we question ourselves. I know I feel worthless when I NEED someone to lean on.
I’m not sure what is going on in your situation. But, my husband said exactly the same thing to me when my daughter contacted me. That email really sent me into another world.
Janey, we are here for you. I may not be able to give you the answers you need, but I will listen. I will understand! I promise! :)
Advertisements
(((((((((((Janey))))))))))))))))
keep talking, keep sharing and keep writing. You need to, you have to!!!!! You are NOT burdening a soul. ever. You DESERVE to get advice, support and love. every single day.
:loveyou:
I'm SO glad you posted this today.
I am NOT glad if you're being duped.
By the way, you are SO not crazy. I'm not letting you get away with that. All of these behaviours that you're talking about from this past week sound so totally normal to me.
((((Janey)))) hang in there babe. I think you're close.
Ditto to what Quantum said. You hang in there. I bet you didn't know that, for the past month, because of all this craziness with my BPs, I was heading into the numb silence you talk about, disappearing back into myself, and not letting anyone in. As tempting as the numbness is at times, I'm fighting. do you know why? It's because of you and Raven. With your emails, you reached out to me. I needed that right now, so stop beating yourself up. What do you say we both stay out of the numb silence? I will if you will.
It's going to be fine. You'll see. Sending super cyber hugs to you.
Janey, you write so beautifully -- I love your imagery -- keep expressing yourself.
So sad that some cyber meanie was preying on your vulnerabilities.
I remember so clearly the night I stumbled upon the online query looking for a baby girl born on my date in the correct city -- who in the heck was looking for me??? I was terrified. Did I want to come out of my little safe box and venture into unknown territory??? I had buried all the emotions of my adopted self; I figured my bparents were dead and I would meet them in heaven. It was okay to be in a dark place now because eventually I would pass through that tunnel of light to full knowledge and love.
But I was suddenly presented the option to find out about my past. In a way, I didn't want to know the truth of who I really was, but I knew I couldn't live with myself if I turned the other way. So I opened the door and walked into the sad story of an ill bmom and an abusive bdad and two half-sibs who resent me. (The online query was posted by some cousins on my bdad's side who always wanted to know what happened to that baby given up for adoption.)
Sometimes I think I would be much happier had I never left my box, my "coffin" if you will. There is safety and security in the darkness. But we all need to keep going forward no matter how much it hurts. If we keep opening all the doors in our life (and inbox messages), eventually we will find who/what we're looking for.
Fortunately, I don't believe that there is such an entity as Mr. D (although people who try to deceive others come pretty close.)
I'm already a little melancholy today because today is the anniversary of my bmom's death. She died when I was a child so my only reunion with her was at her grave. But that's just a stone -- she's not really there.
Sorry to get so depressing, but like you, Janey, I often ask myself why I put myself through all this. I left one box to put myself into another -- now I know who my half-sibs and their children are -- from my little box, I know they're outside in the sunlight, but I'm not allowed to open the door and join them. I am the dark little family secret -- the one no one speaks of.
We don't stay in the silence where it's safe and warm and nobody know us and we can hide and be numb. We're women, smart women, and we like to talk. They can try to box us in, but we'll break out somehow.
You'll find your kids someday -- just hang in there. Keep writing.
Advertisements
Janey,
I'm SO sorry that you're having a hard time with this...
I know the darkness, and your mind telling you things that aren't right-- for whatever reason.
I also have been battling the dark side-
for about a week now...
but I've had problems with depression since I was a kid-
and the relinquishment of my son was so exquisitely painful for so long--- it still amazes me I got through it.
Someone on another board DID find my son for me last Saturday--
and i have been a mess ever since..
i am on one hand relieved and thrilled that he's alive and well...
but the other emotions--
the ones that i buried
but never dealt with are the ones that are attacking me with a vengeance.....
I totally get where you're coming from,
and all the spaciness that comes along with it---
i wish I had something profound or helpful to say-
I don't but I thought it may help to know you're not alone.....
after reading this thread,
I know I'm not- and it helps....
Hugs!!!
Kerri
I came back on this thread to yell at Janey a bit (not in a negative way, only out of love of course!) and am reading the posts and feeling everyones pain today, so I'm not going to yell (you're lucky THIS time Janey girl).
But what I do want to say to all of you, and you guys are doing this, is please please please USE us! USE these boards, talk about things! It's so much healthier.
This stuff IS hard, and I know it's helped me to share and to know I'm not alone.
And the thing is,Janey, I know it's scary. I've trusted, I've gotten burned, burned BIG time, BUT I don't want to be the person who never trusts, because then we lose out on SO much. I'm sorry someone is trying to deceive you out there toots, you know what though, you sensed that from the beginning. I feel like your time will come though sweetie.
:grouphug:
Janey - I know that place you've been in this past week...I've been there, too. Don't listen to "Mr. D."...you don't have to. (BTW, I love the Stones' reference).
Going down the dark ladder...that's what I always call it. Sylvia Plath wrote a lot about it, how it cloaked her, enveloped her. I have to fight it on a regular basis. It's enticing to go back to the familiar silence...but it's spiritually and emotionally lethal, my friend.
Keep writing on these boards; keep reaching out in friendship to those who are so willing to reach back. We all need each other, and we are greatly diminished when someone is absent. You, my dear, are a gift, even though you don't see it.
Shadow - Thank you for your wonderful post. It means much more to me than you realize. And it comes at a most perfect time. I have been enriched by knowing you these past couple years. Thanks for being my friend. :loveyou:
Hey Everbody!! ((( Everybody ))) :grouphug:
Thank you all for your wonderful responses!! Hope you all know I feel just the same about all of you! :grouphug:
Maggie
I think that when we need support the most is when we question ourselves.
Amen to that, Maggie!! When I think about how once-upon-a-time I didn't even recognize the triggers? That I was living them, breathing them but clueless to that understanding? That really frightens me. It's like I've lived so long now not buying into the old messages that when I hear them, I'm not prepared and I fall right down the hole. Hope that made sense.
Shadowriderer
What do you say we both stay out of the numb silence? I will if you will.
You got it my dear friend!! :grouphug:
Kerri
but the other emotions--
the ones that i buried but never dealt with are the ones that are attacking me with a vengeance.....
That's the perfect description! One memory in particular came roiling up. The day I walked out of my family's home saying, "I'm done!" I think I actually posted those words on here but really I was reliving that moment! And it was right after that I started yelling at this poor, helpless envelope that'd fallen on the floor of my kitchen. I'm like "Listen you stupid envelope!! I'm going to stomp on you do you hear me? Stomp!!" :eek: :arrow:
And my hubby's watching this and saying, "Baby I don't think the envelope speaks English."
Good grief!!
But you're right, Kerri! It is the past attacking with a vengeance.
i wish I had something profound or helpful to say-
Actually I think everything you said was profound! :love:
Quantum
I came back on this thread to yell at Janey a bit
Yell away buddy! If it's you yelling, then I'm listening 'cuz I know you've only got my best interests at heart. :love: :grouphug:
Ravensong
It's enticing to go back to the familiar silence...but it's spiritually and emotionally lethal, my friend.
:loveyou: Raven :loveyou: Truer words were never spoken my dear friend. Truer words were never spoken.
And it's like we talked about, if a 30 year member can fall off the wagon and take a drink then it can happen to me.
I've seen it happen or twice with the oldtimers and then they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go to a meeting. One Day A Time. I'm pretty sure God wrote that and then passed it along to us mortals here. :flower:
Love you guys!! :grouphug: :flower:
Advertisements
Hey guys! I ran out of room on that other frame!!
LOL!!
Cksmom Just wanted to say thank you!! You're a lovely person!! :grouphug:
SoniaRose
Sometimes I think I would be much happier had I never left my box, my "coffin" if you will. There is safety and security in the darkness. But we all need to keep going forward no matter how much it hurts. If we keep opening all the doors in our life (and inbox messages), eventually we will find who/what we're looking for.
:flower: You're so right 'Sonia'!! I suppose it is a false sense of security anyway isn't it? And a half life too; one lived between shadows. If nothing else, at least I can find myself in all of this, huh? And that's something to be put in the "assest" column right?
I'm already a little melancholy today because today is the anniversary of my bmom's death. She died when I was a child so my only reunion with her was at her grave. But that's just a stone -- she's not really there.
((( SoniaRose ))) I'm so sorry this was your outcome. We had a member in here some months back who found out her son had died. Lovely woman. Such a thing that. To not have closure. I sympathise with you in this. :battle:
I am the dark little family secret -- the one no one speaks of.
No my dear friend. You are a woman with a quiet strength and I imagine you are every bit as elegant and kind as the words you say. I will speak your name..... SoniaRose. I will stand wtih you and shout it from the rooftops if you like!!:grouphug:
Much hugs to you guys! :grouphug: