Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I would say if the case worker isn't giving it out, you should go to her supervisor and continue up the chain until you get it. You may have to specify that it is for your taxes. You could also contact your state foster parent association for help.
I had to do this this month as the case worker had not filed for one on a child I had in my home. I finally got an answer when I sent certified letters to the CW, Supervisor, Area Administrator, Regional administrator and the State Ombudsman's office.
It just boiled down to it not being high priority for the case worker and she needed a push to get it done. I mean he's only been in care a year. :(
As far as getting the number, the agency's should release it as it is FEDERAL tax law that says you can claim the child if you meet the Federal requirements.
Any agency that says that you can't claim the child on your Federal taxes would be suspect to me since they are then giving you tax advice for which they are not qualified to do. That's up to you and your accountant. As far as how much you contributed out of your own pocket, that means test was done away with a few years ago and the stipend is not considered part of the child's income as is is not reflected on their Social Security number, if the case worker has gotten them one.
I am going to qualify this with the fact that I am not a tax professional, just a foster Mom who has taken some classes and does her own taxes. All of this tax stuff can be answered by the National Foster Parent Association, whether you are a member of not. They have a handbook you can download for free. They are also great about answering your tax questions.
I think if you can claim your foster kids, you should. I know that it's great to have the extra money to pay for the extras like outdoor equipment or fun outings that these kids deserve.
Take care,
Becki