Advertisements
Advertisements
I wish I'd seen THIS site right away because I posted on the regular adoption forum and a lot of people had no idea where I was coming from and not a lot of understanding and/or compassion.
My story:
I'm the mother of five children, one who is biological, one adopted from Hong Kong at age six, one adopted from Korea as an infant, one adopted from foster care at two (he is on the high functioning autism spectrum and is AA and we are white) and the youngest, my sunshine, who is 12 and bi-racial and we originally set it up as an open adoption. Her birthmother closed it. Now I'm trying to open it again. I am doing all the work. I am going through the emotional hell of ups and downs and fears and doubts, and I feel like I may have made one big mistake and I just am at the end of my rope. Emotionally, I am falling apart.
Birthmother picked us and we knew her for two months and were close to her and her biological son, who was three at the time. She kept him, but her own mother was a total racist against blacks and didn't want her to keep our daughter, knowing his birthfather was AA. In fact, it was her mother who contacted us and she couldn't wait to practically give this child away before she was even born. Birthmother was a mess. She was 21 and already had a child from another man of a more desirable race to her mother and her mother was helping her raise him (she swore she'd never help her with daughter). On top of that, birthfather had landed in jail for armed robbery, related to his drug addiction. I know this sounds strange, but he's NOT a bad person at all. He is sick--an addict. When he isn't using, he is nothing like when he is, but he was then and still is an addict.
The birthmother had broken up with him and was going out with another man, also African-American, and she wanted an open adoption. I'd always felt that this was healthy for the kids, so hub and I readily agreed--we loved birthmother and birthfather too (we got to know them both). We did not, and still don't, care for or have good memories about racist grandma. She pushed her daughter to relinquish the baby. Even though we promised that we'd help her even if she didn't relinquish the child to us, in the end, she did. In the hospital nobody even came to visit birthmother, except us, and we got to watch N's birth. To this day I am not feeling warm and fuzzy about birth grandma, but times have changed. I became an internet detective (truly!) and found out that B. has an excellent job working for her mother. I found her Facebook too and birthmother has four friends--two are her sister and her mother. Her father is not in the picture and racist grandma is on her third or fourth husband. In spite of grandma's issues, she provided B. with a good education, a nice home, and all that stuff. She is a very controlling person from what I remember.
Time marched on and B. saw N. at times. She was always accompanied by her awesome fiance and asked if N. could be in their wedding as the flower girl. Of course we said yes. Then she stopped calling. N. would ask about being a flowergirl in Mama B's wedding. B. called to tell us they had broken up because birthfather had been released from prison and she was wildly attracted to him (he is a gorgeous man) and she went back to him. They both came up to visit her together and N. just clung to them both, aware of who they were although she was only two. Then it all fell apart.
B. figured out that birthfather is not a suitable partner and tried to go back to her ex-fiance and the wedding was "on" again. She promised N. she could be the flowergirl. Meanwhile birthfather promised her a huge birthday party with his entire family and she got all excited about that. But birthmother stopped calling and birthfather never honored his promise, then got thrown back in jail. N. was disappointed by both (she was a very precocious two year old and she knew what she'd been promised). I kept trying to call birthmother, but could never get her. One day I finally day:
A strange man answered the phone. Sounded like there were kids in the background. He gave the phone to birthmother who was very flippant about not letting us know that she had broken up with her fiance and that the wedding was off and that she hadn't told us so that we could tell Nicole. She didn't sound comfortable. After that we could never contact her again. Her phone number was changed. We never heard from her again. Meanwhile birthfather was so unstable we decided that he couldn't be a positive force in her life while she was so young. The adoption became closed, but WE didn't close it--at least not with birthmother. FF ten years.
Daughter and I are very close. She confided in me that there is a hole in her heart because of birthmother. She wants to know why she was "given away" (yes, we told her the truth, but that didn't satisfy her), who she looks like, wants to know if birthmother ever thinks or her or tries to search for her. She argued with me over the "wait until you're 18." She said that was wasting time. She is a very level-headed young lady and I promised her she'd see her birthmother again. I figured I could find her and they could start with letters and we could open the adoption slowly. As for birthfather, he's in prison again, but if she wants to write a short letter and he wants to write to a PO Box that would be ok, although she wasn't as interested in him. I did think she may want to know his mother and sister who are not in legal trouble and never have been. I contacted them first. They were all excited and gung ho and even e-mailed with N. until I told them that N. was a little "iffy" about birthfather due to his issues. I got a scathing letter back about how if he wasn't included in the reunion they weren't interested and, although I reached out again, I never heard from them again. N. wasn't that upset about it. That isn't her main interest. I just thought it would be nice. It is her AA side, and culturally it would have been nice, plus she needs to know that her birthfather has good people in his family. But it wasn't meant to be. They imo aren't thinking of N. first, but of HIM first. Ok, onto birthmother, the REAL heartache.
I found her. She had married her son's birthfather and never had any other children (amazing what you can find out on the internet). She works for her racist mother. I decided to contact her through a third party to make it less threatening. Maybe that was a dumb thing to do. She got her husband who said she wasn't home. Then he said, "Oh, she just walked in the door." The timing couldn't have been worse. She had probably just come in from work. Anyway, he mentioined my name (he KNOWS that she has a daughter that she relinquished, but he probably forgot my name). She would not come to the phone. I got an e-mail the next day from HER friend. "B. knows how to find you." And that is that. Except that my daughter keeps asking. We got into Adoption Therapy. I made a series of mistakes here, or possible mistakes and I live and breathe these mistakes. I think about them all the time and want to just give up. Here they go:
Therapist encouraged me to tell my daughter everything I'd find out. Actually, my relationship with N. is based on total trust. I never lie to her, even about disturbing things. I was encouraged to tell her that I contacted b-mom and that she, for whatever reason, wasn't ready to come to the phone, and I told her. She acted fine in the therapists office bringing up reasons why that would be. I found out later, finding a private letter she'd written to birthmother but never meant to send, that she was devestated by this news and I'm mad at both the therapist and myself for having told her. Then I made the biggest mistake of all. I copied this short letter and sent it by e-mail to birthmother without my daughter's permission. It is the first time I ever did a nything behind her back. Yeah, I hoped it would elicit a response, but I had no business doing that and it didn't elicit any response so far. On top of that, now she knows that I told her that she wouldn't come to the phone. Real smart of me! That could scare her into thinking N. is very angry at her (and she is!). But I can't believe what I did in the flurry of emotions. I feel like I'm the adoptee and that I blew it and that I just want to disappear. This is so hard. I wanted to do the search so that my daughter wouldn't have to (and, trust me, searching his a full time job emotionally). And I wanted her to live her teen years knowing her birthparents rather than fantacizing and I feel like I just made everything worse. WEll, that's the story up until now, but here's a little more of a background:
Son from Hong Kong lived in an orphanage until he was six. He was a stellar child and brilliant. We loved him and still do as if we'd given birth to him, but his identity crisis issues overcame him. He is now 31 and married to a Chinese woman. He has been to China at least five times (he is a millionaire already). He taught himself Mandarin. He wants NOTHING to do with us, won't even acknowledge voicemails when his grandfather was sick. He obviously has disowned us. We don't know why because he won't tell us. He is as much as gone. It has been about three years and he is more distant, not closer. I doubt he ever felt like one of us and it is so hurtful. I don't want my daughter to have the same identity issues as him.
Anyone understand the grief of the search for the adoptive mom? Any advice? Words of wisdom on how to make my mistakes better, how to rectify them? Any words at all? I am so tired. Thanks for reading this. I know it was horribly long. Please--I don't want to hear anything scathing from adoptees. Thanks again.
My experience is not the same as yours but I know the agony of reunion. I know the agony of losing my daughter to an obsessive relationship with her birthmom. The two of them are ruining all there other relationships because of their NEED to be with each other. It is so unhealthy. I know the agony of the emotional ups and downs of this reunion.
I hope you can find comfort here just knowing that you are not alone.
Advertisements
I'm so sorry. That's so wrong. IMO you are not a mother by virtue of giving birth--certainly you are the genetic mother and share traits...that would break my heart. I *want* my daughter to have a relationship with her birth relatives, but I would be destroyed if she cut us out of her life.
I hear ya with the always doing the right thing by your adopted ones...I brought my daughter to her old foster home, I always told her I would help her if she wanted to find her birth relatives and I did just that when she called at age 21 and asked for help. We all all came together and I didn't think a thing about it other than she finally knew what they looked like etc...I was not prepared for her leaving the next year to live in the neighborhood she was removed from by SOCIAL SERVICES...I have learned since that being an adoptive parent comes with more challenges than I realized when it comes to reuniting with birth relatives. I believe it has to happen, if the adoptee wants it to, but the pain of rejection and abandonment is deep so I hear ya...and I feel your pain...I live that pain, since my daughter dropped out of our lives. She has never been nasty about any of it BUT neglect is neglect...there is no other way to explain it.
HUGS and LOVE...you have come to the right place...supporting each other is the only way to heal and feel good about what we are going through. E-mail me if you want to I am always an e-mail away.
I have e-mailed Love4 for years and it has saved my sanity...now Moo has joined in and it is so nice to have others to bounce things off of...it really helps.
After reading your post I think you have gone above and beyond what most people would do to connect your child and I don't think you did anything that outrageous...your heart is in the right place, it is simply a complex situation...Again, welcome aboard. :flower:
I hear ya. Please add me to the list. I find that, in an adoption community, adoptive parents are the bad guys. And I'm not in the mood to deal with it.
I don't think this daughter will leave us for anything. We are way too close. But my son left. He's not living with his birth relatives--they are in Hong Kong--but he is living with his Chinese wife and her family and, as far as he's concerned, they are his new family and the years we raised him and the fact that we love him don't matter. He not only wants to live his Chinese roots, he doesn't really socialize with anyone who isn't Chinese, including us. Plus he's become a fundamentalist Christian and we aren't religious enough for him. Everything we do is a sin. Maybe it's all because he was six when he came and is related to a real, intense need to know his roots because he never had any.
Since adoption has changed to the point where it is almost always open and kids almost always search and it can be so heartbreaking, I wouldn't do it again today. I agree with them that they have a right to search and find, but I would have stuck to foster care if I had felt I was not only adopting a child but his entire birthfamily (on both sides) lol. I guess I'm not a progressive thinker. Since I still have my precious twelve year old, naturally I will help her search and give her my blessing. It IS her right.
Add me to your list :)
I agree. Sometimes all the love in the world does not make a difference. There were times I felt like I was just a babysitter. I, like you would not do it again. Not today. I have four daughters and I will suppot the other 3 if they choose to search but I am not sure how much more heartbreak I can take. One daugther brought so much heartbreak I am not sure my emotions can live through any more.
Advertisements
The sad thing is MANY people may decide not to adopt, at least not domestically, although international was even worse for us. And, in spite of hostility toward adoptive parents these days (or at least I perceive it that way) who is going to love the children who need it? We want to adopt a child, not a whole big gang of relatives. And we want our children to feel like they are our own. I deliberately adopted rather than having more birthchildren. With the atmosphere toward adoptive parents being the bad guys who keep adoptees and birthparents apart in such mean ways (???? or so I hear), I would not adopt again in this environment. I have thought of adopting a teenager when my kiddos are gone, but it's not going to happen. To sate my extreme love of kids, I think I will foster babies, especially those who were drug exposed or who have autism. Then the goal is to return them home or get them adopted to OTHER families who can handle maybe losing their beloved children. I am too old now to go through the heartbreak. I'd rather have hub buy an RV and travel around the country...lol. I'm also a writer. I want to be able to write, write, write and write more and finally be responsible for only me. I've been a mom since age 24 and I'm 55.
I am not sorry I adopted my kids because I love them more than my own life and have sacrificed my own happiness for them, as any mother would. But, as I look at prospective adoptive parent ads, "Seeking out Open Adoption" all I can say is they don't realize what they are in for. There is no guarantee that your three families will be able to come together and love this child in peace or that the child will not be very confused about all these families and not know WHO she belongs to. My best friend, who is adopted and reunited with her birthmother, thinks young open adoptions are crazy and confusing for the kids, and thinks it's horrible when adoptees consider their birthfamilies their families. She certainly doesn't. At any rate, this is how it is right now, and my daughter will find her birthparents and I'll do all I can to support her because she owns my heart. I just hope she doesn't break it. She could.
All I have wanted to do since I began struggling with my daughter's reunion was to find others who understand. I was blessed to find love4 and now there are others as well. Every time I talk to someone involved in the adoption triangle I share my story with the hope that they will see that our kids don't come alone...HUGS
OK, I'm an adoptee and you'll get no scathing anything from me. I'm also an adoptive mom, but since my little one is 3, I haven't had as much opportunity for mistakes.
First of all, give yourself a break, will ya? Nobody makes the right decisions all of the time. I believe that we make the best decision we can at the time we make it and sometimes the decision turns out not to be great. But that is in retrospect when we have more wisdom than the day before. We can learn from the past, but we cannot live there. (And who the heck would want to?)
My advice? Stop beating yourself up. Seriously, that doesn't do anyone any good.
Hi, sweetie :) Thanks for posting.
Actually, I don't think I did anything wrong (at least not bad enough to warrant a child disowning me and hub). We always acknowledge when we do things wrong, we aren't controlling, we try so hard to walk in the shoes of our children. I KNOW I made mistakes, but nothing malicious, nothing that should have chased him away like this.
I think the message for adoption is wrong right now. Since some people are desperate for children they will do Open Adoption, not realizing what it means. And adoption no longer is permanant. It is temporary in a sense since the children are told they have a "right" to their roots and can kick their "adoptive" parents once they are old enough. And because of the MESSAGE many do.
If I had known that the adoption message would change so much since I first adopted, I would not have done it. I wanted children, not to acquire entire families and maybe have the kids get hostile just because we didn't give birth to them and then leave us for the sin of not having carried them--no matter that we love them as much as if we had. It's too draining.
I used to scoff at people who did in vitro and tried so hard to have "a child of MY OWN." I thought, "There are so many kids in this world who don't have parents." And that is true. But now I sort of understand. We didn't get into this to be a temporary parent or to take care of our kids while birthmother is growing up only to have the child go back to her when she comes calling. I hear more and more stories of adopted kids leaving their adoptive parents cold. Not having duo relationships--just dumping the adoptive parents.
In this atmosphere, I would foster, but I would never adopt. Going through this reunion with my daughter, whom I love more than anyone on earth, will be really scary for me. I know I could lose her too.
I think there will be more people going for in-vitro and less trying to adopt, either here or abroad, as birthparents become a big part of the bargain, even when they live in China. My son has met his birthmother there. It's not hard to travel these days and everyone speaks English.
I'm feeling very sad now.
Advertisements
I was just responding to the litany of stuff you mentioned.
Now, about adoption and the open adoption situation - I get in trouble when I say this, but I really don't think open adoption is what should be happening. Seriously, it may serve to get pbparents to relinquish because they are not "really" giving the child up, but I don't see that as a good idea. In terms of the whole "best for the adoptee" concept - I just don't think so. I have lots of reasons, but I think you have mentioned them.
Please, no flames. This is what I think.
LoveMyKids94
it means. And adoption no longer is permanant. It is temporary in a sense since the children are told they have a "right" to their roots and can kick their "adoptive" parents once they are old enough. And because of the MESSAGE many do.
I'm feeling very sad now.
I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time with this...
I'm a birthmom, and I just feel i needed to put my 2 cents in here...anhd let you know how I feel about it--
I may not have the same feelings about it as other firstmoms do, but i think what I have to say may at least help you feel better--
again..FWIW-- this is JMHO_
but here goes....
My BS is now 18--
i waited for the day to come when I could put all my info out there so that I can know he's OK, healthy happy, and the whole 9 yards...
I think that what you called.. "the message"
is wrong...
when relinquished, it was the hardest, and most selfless thing I ever had to do--
but as i have been giving it MUCH thought over the past few weeks, as it relates to my personal situation,
going back now, given the same set of circumstances, I would make the same decision for him.
I never wanted to relinquish, ot at all, but at the same time, I could not have him grow up resenting me because I wouldn't have been able to provide well enough for him....
I met his parents...
I liked them very much...
there was a feeling of peace and a vision of happiness that came over me when I met them.
I chose them for a reason.
I knew they were the ones destined to be his parents....
they will ALWAYS be his parents, and if we ever meet and have any kind of relationship I would be very sad if he decided that he wanted to take sides....
maybe you are right, about the overall Message that is being sent by society as a whole-
i don't know, but I would never condone my son treating his parents badly because he wanted to have a relationship with me.
I am searching, but at the same time, do NOT want to
"swoop in and take over the role of Mother..."
I just want, If HE will accept and allow it-
a chance to know the kind of person that he has become.
I feel no competition or animosity towards his parents...
never have, never will
IMO they are his PARENTS- not the people i chose to babysit him fopr 18 years.
parents IN ALL SENSES of the word.
I would LOVE to contact my son,
I have his info ..etc...
but i don't want his parents to feel threatened or angry or scared...
just as much as I don't want him having those same emotions..
i feel that it is so WRONG for some to feel like they should be ALLOWED to toss their parents off to the side , for the sake of a relationship with their bio parents...
my hope for him, is that he understands that he has another person out there who also loves him unconditionally,
always have, always will...
but i am NOT looking to take his parents place....
they are his parents, and love him with all their hearts and souls
no matter what.....
as to your statement that you guys have made mistakes in your parenting...
WHO HASN"T?????
that's par for the course-
parenting is doing the best you can..
there's not a parent alive who hasn't made a mistake...
they don't give out instruction manuals..
though I really wish they did..:)
I don't know if this helps at all,
but i thought I'd share my view "from the other side" so to speak....
Hugs,
Kerri
The dumping is so painful.
I suppose an adopted person might feel dumped...the irony is that the adoptive parent chose to raise the child, so that for me makes the dumping all the more painful.
Let's propose that adopting a child is like giving birth to a special needs child...in that the child does not come with blindness, or MD, or mental illness, they come with other people and those other people will always be the elephant in the room and if we can't accept that than it might never work for any of the parties.
when we adopted a five year old our social worker said CHANGE HER NAME, NEVER CONTACT HER FOSTER FAMILY...she was telling us to cut all ties and change everything...well, we didn't change her name because she had already been called the same name for five years and wasn't a baby and I felt sorry for the foster family because they were quite attached to her so I didn't do what the social worker suggested...she said the child was placed in foster care because the b-relatives were not very nice and they wanted her out of the area...the b-dad was in jail and trying to get custody...any ways..................my point is back then I had no clue as to how complex it all is...now I know and I try to educate others as so their eyes are wide open...hey! life ain't easy...the more we search and discover and share, the better off the journey will be...
But I hear ya....getting dumped is never fun...painful!!!!!!
THanks for two awesome posts, and Birthmother you are very wise. I THINK my daughter's birthmother will be like you, but I haven't seen her in so long that I'm not sure. I certainly loved her a lot when I met her. Back then she was only 21. Now she is 33. I hope she is still the same sweet person because I don't want to "compete" with her.
I do think that the age of your child can change how you feel about all this openness. I loved the idea of openness when my daughter was an infant and couldn't make any decisions for herself. In fact, birthmom closed the adoption, not me. Now that my daughter is twelve and definitely her own person (mature, thoughtful, level-headed) the idea is scarier to me. I am closer to her than anyone on earth. Losing her would be my biggest loss ever. I know she feels very close to us too, but kids change more than parents do.
Advertisements
My daugther never expected to have a relationship with her birthmom. Her birthmom said she only wanted to see if she was ok. Emotions took over. We think we know what we would do but our emotions are stronger sometimes. I too thought I would be ok if my kids searched. I thought I was strong enough to experience a reunion. Then it happened. All emotions went crazy.
My daughter says I am mom. Her birthmom says I am mom but the two are inseperable. What good are those words to me? They mean nothing. They have the relationship and I have the crumbs.
Maybe after a honeymoon she will come back? I just don't know. People told me my son would come back. He doesn't even see his birthmom. She is in China. It's been three years and he hasn't come back. But he was adopted at six and I do think it makes a difference.
I hope my daughter still has a relationship with us when she meets her birthmother. Her birthmother DID write back. She was very reticent and wants to keep everything confidential for now. I didn't tell my daughter because I don't know what birthmother is going to say. I don't want to get her hopes up if it's possible (although unlikely) that birthmother doesn't want contact with her. She's a good person. I can't see her doing it, but, on the other hand, her family was very against Nicole being one of them because she is part black...so who knows.
I'm kind of glad I'm doing the search. I'd hate for my baby to have to go through what I am. No matter what happens, at least I took this horrible emotional roller coaster away from her and put it on me.