Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! I have found out the names of the maternity homes in the Richmond area.
Seton House which was a catholic run home, Evangeline which was run in part by the salvation army, and Brookfield Maternity home, where the babies were born IN the home. Since my info says I was born IN the home, and I know I wasn't adopted thru catholic charities, I have narrowed it down to Brookfield. This home is located in the suburbs of Richmond in a town called Glen Allen. For anyone interested, the home still is in operation, however, not as a maternity home- but it is now a home for at risk girls. I called and spoke with a lady there and she told me all the files were either trashed or destroyed in a fire.. but babies were born in the actual building where her office is. It struck me in a strange way to know that I was talking to a woman that was standing right were I might have been born... I've never had that feeling.
Anyway-Is there anyone out there that was in Brookfield Maternity home the summer of 1967? If you were there, you probably knew my birthmother... any info you can share would be great!:flower:
1 Liked
 likes this.
MontanaDream
Seton House which was a catholic run home, Evangeline which was run in part by the salvation army, and Brookfield Maternity home, where the babies were born IN the home. Since my info says I was born IN the home, and I know I wasn't adopted thru catholic charities, I have narrowed it down to Brookfield. This home is located in the suburbs of Richmond in a town called Glen Allen. For anyone interested, the home still is in operation, however, not as a maternity home- but it is now a home for at risk girls. I called and spoke with a lady there and she told me all the files were either trashed or destroyed in a fire.. but babies were born in the actual building where her office is. It struck me in a strange way to know that I was talking to a woman that was standing right were I might have been born... I've never had that feeling.
Anyway-Is there anyone out there that was in Brookfield Maternity home the summer of 1967? If you were there, you probably knew my birthmother... any info you can share would be great!:flower:
My mother was sent to Virginia and had a son I would have to say it was in 1964-1965. She has said that we would not be able to find him because all the files were destroyed in a fire. I wonder if it is the same place.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I imagine it would be the same. I called and they told me there had been a fire, or they had destroyed all the old records... anyway, they are all gone. I have since learned that my bm was at Evangeline Booth/Salvation Army maternity home.
MontanaDream
My friend (birthmom) went to the Brookfield Home for Unwed mothers in Richmond in 1970 and gave birth to her son at Johnston Willis Hospital. We have been trying to find him for 13 yrs. Do you know your birthparents names?
MontanaDream
I forgot to say her birthson was adopted through the Methodist Children's Home in Richmond, which is now the United Methodist Family Services. Phone 804-353-4461
You may want to call them.
No I don't, unfortunately. As it turns out, my mother wasn't at Brookfield, but Evangeline Booth Salvation Army maternity home.
Thanks for the info!
Advertisements
I was born and adopted in Richmond in July 1964. Looking for birth mother. It's a shot in the dark, but could we be related?
My mother was sent to Virginia and had a son I would have to say it was in 1964-1965. She has said that we would not be able to find him because all the files were destroyed in a fire. I wonder if it is the same place.
[/quote]