Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
joskids
We have 4 adopted children. Only our daughter, who was 2 when she came to us, had (and still has, to some degree), food issues. The other 3 children were infants and have no issues related to food. Samantha is now 10, I constantly find candy and food wrappers in her room despite the fact that we have plenty to eat here, she gets healthy food and treats. I've learned to relax about it, it has gotten better over time. Still, I think she's going to make a great chef one day due to her obsession with being in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I'm amazed that these issues haven't really gone away in all this time. She was with her bio mother for 6 mos., removed and placed in foster care, and then to our home. I doubt she really had all she needed in foster care. I saw her foster mother, myself, set her and her foster brother on the kitchen floor with sippy cups full of juice to keep them content and quiet whenever she didn't have time for them. Now, I think that our daughter uses food as a comfort (not surprising, actually so do I). Thankfully she is built beautifully, very, very tall and very slim. She's also very involved in sports and quite talented in that arena so I don't think her food issues will be much of a problem. She also LOVES yogurt and fruit so whenever she wants a treat, she's more than happy to eat more healthy food. I don't like food eaten anywhere in the home except for the kitchen, so the food in her bedroom is my biggest issue.
I also had a foster son who came at the age of one year. He had HORRIBLE food issues, stuffed himself without stopping, screaming and screaming for more food after he had more than enough for a child his age. I had a real problem with it and, aside from giving him more healthy treats, his issues have carried over into his adoptive home.
There is a "food issue" program associated with our local Children's Hospital. You might want to check in your area to see if there are any similar programs available to you and your child.
I DO KNOW how frustrating these food issues can be. I wish I had more advice to offer you.
Thanks all.
I like the suggestions on limiting the snacks to 3 in the bag. That might work.
I guess I'm wondering how to handle the request for 2nds and 3rds on meals? I know after eating one meal it takes us 20 minutes to even process we're full, but my one son who constantly wants his bowl filled 3-4x some nights has his meal FINISHED before I sit down sometimes.
One night I made Chili. I got the kids their milk and some cheese and by the time I sat to eat, he had finished his bowl and was looking for his second helping. I hadn't even taken a bite. I try to encourage him to put his fork down between bites, but it's a constant reminder and then I think, "Am I putting to much attention on this?"
My daughter could literally have just started eating her meal and then start asking, what she can have for dessert.
It's very apparent they both have issues related to food, but I'm trying to find some way to address it so they both stay healthy and they both know food will be there for them.
I think the snacks in bags is a great idea, but what about mealtime and 2nd-3rd, 4th helpings?