Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband asked me to post this. He wants other men to know that after the adoption of a baby, the adoptive mother goes through almost the same hormonal changes as birth mothers (I guess this is supposed to be a warning! Ha ha). I have to agree and don't mind writing this. It is likely your wives will be very hormonal afterward. We had quite literally the perfect adoption, but the first night home, I was a crying psycho-woman. I am a licensed child therapist and usually very calm and collected. I think it all stemmed from stress and excitement. My husband was looking for some clothes in our baby's dresser and messed up all of my organized piles. This small matter became a crisis whereby I accused him of not caring about the time and effort to organize everything and make our baby's home perfect. We laugh about it now, but at the time it seemed very important. So new fathers: please don't take us to heart the first month. Yes, we're a little crazy, but couldn't be happier with the beautiful gift you've helped us received. :woohoo: If you have similar stories, I'm sure my wonderful husband would love to hear them..
o.k. i've been both a bio mom and newly an adopted mom...and i agree COMPLETELY with this, i recently got home from vietnam with our new little 9 month old and went into complete meltdown! i was crying while giving her a bath! this was the exact same way i was the first couple weeks after giving birth to my daughter...completely rediculous emotional rollercoaster, but lack of sleep those first couple weeks (with both cases) will do that to a person! escpecially since, just like a newborn, you have NO idea how to comfort a newly adopted child and don't know what their cries mean yet...i'm learning, that time heals all and eventually the hormone surge eases, much to the relief of my husband! LOL!
Advertisements
I just want to mention that in adoption at least this is NOT limited to moms! Dads can be pretty stressed/hormonal/in full-scale meltdown stage in their first months of parenthood as well! :)
About 2 weeks after we were home I had a meltdown as well. I think its pretty normal, its just such an emotional thing to go through.
I also eneded up having gallbladder surgery about 6 wks after, which I came to find out is very popular among new moms. Everyone at the hospital and others I talked to were like oh... you just had a baby, this is so common that between 6 to 8 wks after giving birth many women end up having their gallbladder removed!
When I said I adopted people were very surprised and said wow, your body must not know the difference!
I know my heart didn't!!!!