Advertisements
Advertisements
I realize this is an older thread, but in hope that the OP is still actively looking for hope, I have a story.
A very good friend of mine had his schizophrenic break in his second year of law school. No one in his family knew of any person in the family having the illness before his diagnosis. He had to leave school for 6 months while he educated himself about the illness and found the right combination of medicines to control his symptoms.
Today he is married, has his own family, and is a very successful assistant district attorney in the federal court system.
I just wanted to say, even though your child's parents may or may not have the genetic trait for schizophrenia, there is no guarantee that your son will become schizophrenic. Regardless, even if your child ever shows any symptoms of the illness, it does not limit what he can have and do with his life.
Through my work as a nurse, I have met many persons with schizophrenia. Most are functioning very well in their day to day lives. They are very aware of their symptoms and use varying means of controlling their reactions to the symptoms. The ones that aren't doing so well are primarily those where the illness went on for some time without intervention. It seems to me that your son will have loving and attentive parents who will attend to his needs.
During the course of my work, I have been able to attend seminars on mental health from time to time and one of the most memorable was one on schizophrenia. For an hour we attempted to listen to a speaker giving a presentation. During the presentation, after which we were to take a test on the material, there was an audio of various noises and "persons" speaking "to us". I found myself so very frustrated trying to concentrate on the material being presented. This exercise only lasted an hour. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for someone with schizophrenia who, 24/7, have to deal with just audio disturbances, yet have to try to continue to have a "normal life". I found that after that hour, I couldn't remember half of what the speaker had told us and half of what I did remember, I had wrong. It was, well, maddening.
To ease your apprehension, you may want to consult with a geneticist regarding any testing that may be available to your son.