Advertisements
Advertisements
Absolutely super post. I would only add one thing....not everyone is so lucky to have a very manageable illness. I think the refusal to take medicine, the inability to get back on one's feet, the drinking, the very destructive behavior...that is what happens to people with more severe illness. The good news - about 65% are moderate or mild cases, according to one study (suppose it depends on how 'mild to moderate' is defined).
The little fellow described, he was waking up at night. That might simply be due to the disruptive household he lived in, or he may be so delighted to be in a home that is more orderly that he wakes up in the middle of the night hoping it's not all a dream. Severely ill parent with substance abuse can hardly take care of themselves, let alone keep an orderly home for an infant. Often schizophrenic parents adore their children, but if off meds and very ill, may not keep to a routine or control their emotions.
If there is actual illness, the whole trick to it is being open to the fact that a child COULD have such an illness, and just being very matter of fact and practical about it. Where it is trouble, is where the symptoms are denied and brushed away.
I feel like people pick up the attitude about their illness from the persons who care for them. If the person reacts with horror, denial and terror, I feel it can set the stage for a lifetime of ineffective treatment.
Facing the illness in a very matter of fact way, in a loving, understanding way, even with humor, it can set the stage for a much better quality of life.
I would hesitate to say that every schizophrenic can go through life completely unaffected by the illness. It can be a severe or mild illness or anything in between.
Statistics say only 15% of schizophrenics work - but I think that is deceptive. I think many people go on disability in order to get medications paid for. Then I think quite a few people have unreported income. The system sort of stinks - I think people with a chronic mental illness like schizophrenia should get free medication(these medications are prescribed to far more people who do NOT have schizophrenia, and I think the pharm companies can well afford to provide each schiz. person in the US with meds lifelong), and then be allowed to work and collect however much income they are comfortable and healthy with.