Advertisements
Advertisements
My son (bio) is currently diagnosed with autism but hears and sees things that simply aren't there. It was at first ascribed to his epilepsy meds but even after those were changed he's continued to have delusions, though not to the same degree. He gets confused because he truly believes the things he imagines. It's clear that the delusions have control of him and it's not just imagination run amock, like a kid telling ghost stories and then being afraid to go out in the dark. The other night in the pool he got scared some woman checking her mail was a police officer coming to arrest him, when she was in regular office clothes and hadn't even looked his way. He was crying about a week ago out of fear we wouldn't win some nonexistent competition. It can be bizarre. For now I'm reading up on schizophrenia, since his neurologist says he's likely to develop it, and just trying to be prepared. I have my kids on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is gluten-free and a bunch of other stuff free ([url=http://www.pecanbread.com]The Scientific Diet for GI Problems, Autism and Other Conditions[/url]) and has helped many people with schizophrenia, autism, and GI issues. It has helped tremendously with controlling his rages but his delusions are still getting more frequent. I've also joined the yahoo group for parents of schizophrenics (Schizophrenia_Parents), which helps me gain insight into how others deal with it. For example, many parents on there swear that ibuprofen can stop delusions, at least in the short term, and that gluten-free diets are a huge help. I also learned that coconut oil provides just the right fats for retaining brain tissue, so we're now using tons of it at home. I think that all we can do is learn as much as possible and keep deal with issues as they crop up.