Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there
We're a south african couple of indian descent and are wanting to adopt from India , please can someone who has been through this please tell me who to contact and where to start.
Any assistance would be great , I have no clue how to get this going.
Thanks
Jules:thanks:
Advertisements
India has ratified Hague Convention #33 on intercountry adoption. South Africa has also ratified. As a result, all international adoptions from India must be conducted under the rules of the Convention. Be aware that private adoptions from India will not be allowed, even by people of Indian origin.
Your first step will have to be identifying an adoption agency in South Africa that is accredited by the South African government to conduct Hague adoptions, and that is also approved by India's Central Adoption Resource Agency (CARA). Based on my quick look at the CARA website at [url=http://www.cara.nic.in/list_of_foreign_agencies_southafrica.htm]Central Adoption Resource Agency[/url], there is only one South African agency that meets these criteria. The contact information for that agency is on the CARA website.
That agency will lead you through the steps of applying to adopt from India, and will also help you to comply with South Africa's immigration requirements for internationally adopted children. Remember that all international adoptions have two components -- the actual adoption, and the immigration of the child to the new parents' home country.
Sharon
The agency is Ondersteuningsraad, who hold the license to adopt internationally
Veno
Jules,
I have been in contact with the contracted social worker for the Ondersteuningsraad in the past month, as well as the Ondersteuningsraad representatives. My dh is currently out of the country, but once he returns we'll be mailing our contract to go on their waiting list to be screened. We are not of Indian decent. If you want a quick run down of the costs involved and what I've found out so far, as well as their email addresses etc you can send me a PM. Be aware that it's a lengthy process and we will only be screened in 3 - 6 months once on our contract is received and approved. It seems that they have quite a long waiting list if I look at the time frame quoted so far.
Go ahead, send me a personal message (PM)! :clap:
Do be aware that, at least for Americans of Indian descent, the waiting time can be up to about 24-30 months, once your paperwork goes to India. And, of course, you have to do a lot before your paperwork is ready to go to India.
Sharon
Advertisements
hi
I know this post is very old.... but wondering if you have had any success / any information to share. I am in a similar situation. thanks
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hello,
My name is Priya. I'm due in June and I'm looking for a loving family to place my beautiful baby. Serious prospective parents who can raise a baby with all their heart, please get in touch with me.
Thanks so much for the input so far , I really appreciate it.