Advertisements
Advertisements
Our fd talks very strange and I was wondering if I'm just being overly concerned or if she truly is delayed?
For some examples:
We were taking a walk one day and we crossed over a railroad track. FD said, "What the train is?"
Often when asking about something, she'll say, "Was is is?" instead of "what is this/it?"
When asking about riding her bike, she'll say, "Can us ride us bike?"
Those are just a few of the strange ways she says things. I always say what I think she's asking and have her repeat her request in the proper way, but that seems to confuse her and she acts like I'm teaching her a foreign language.
I am wondering if she is in need of speech therapy? What do you think?
Advertisements
I'd say it's worth evaluating. There are a variety of speech disorders that those symptoms fall under. A qualified speech therapist would be able to tell you if it's a problem or not.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I would have her evaluated...the school district should have a program for you to utilize...for free.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My DS has a severe speech impairment with motor planning issues and we have used the school district since he was newly turned four...amazing progress in the almost two years he's been in it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Good luck.[/FONT]
my daughter is nearly 5 and still has a lot of problems with pronouns like "she" instead of "her" and tense - present, past, future - at that age I don't think it's unusual, I've had friends with kids that age have a similar issue. I just correct politely and move on. Doesn't mean not to have her evaluated, I'm a firm beleiver in getting any assistance and guidance I can from people who are professionals.
- as an aside my daughter and our older fs have "r" problems so between the pronouns, tense, and R's that sound like W's, it's a little comical to listen in.
I agree that it is worth having her evaluated, but
it may just be that your daughter hasn't had
good language models in her early years. Children usually
say things like "What this is?" instead of what is this
around age 2-3 when they start putting sentences together, and learn through corrective feedback ("Oh, you are asking me 'what is this?'. Well, it's a ____.)
So, in addition to having her evaluated I would model language for her like this consistently (as we do with toddlers) and you may see some improvement.
Advertisements