Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Adoption LIES!
The thing is, the agencies are a business, and as such, they are going to promote it as the best possible thing, regardless of whether it actually is. I think it's up to every expectant mom who is considering adoption to really understand that when they set foot in an agency, their primary goal is to promote adoption, and understand they will have an agenda. If they are affiliated with a particular religion, there will also be a religious agenda on top of the business agenda.
I was never "anti adoption" and believe I did make the right decision, and in my case (and my son's) adoption was a good thing. When I placed, there was no "options counseling" but I knew I wanted to pursue adoption, and so I wasn't expecting any other type of counseling. I think for those who are very undecided, or confused about what their options are, some agencies and the way they promote adoption can be very misleading and downright frightening. My agency was not perfect, but thankfully not anything like what you are describing. Even back when I was placing, the agency I went through did not say anything about single parents being bad or any of the terrible things that your agency is saying (the Lord allows girls to get pregnant so other people can raise the child??? WTH????). That is really beyond the pale, IMO. I can totally understand why you are upset about this, but it's not just adoption agencies that have this mindset. Many individual people, communities, religious congregations, etc., hold these views. Punishing women is the name of the game for some.