Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
One issue you might run into is File Retention. Federally files are required to be retained for 7 yrs. Some files are kept longer, such as adoption records... but I'm not sure if the entire file is kept. You were never adopted so they may have destroyed your files 7yrs after you exited foster care. Likely figuring a case would never be reopened so there didn't seem to be a reason to keep it any longer.
I work for a state agency and retaining old paperwork is such a pain, expensive, and takes a lot of space. Now that things are going more electronic I'm hoping in the future that cases that involves CPS, APS, and similar investigative agencies will be able to keep files longer.
Good luck. If you are specific about what you are looking for, even if you aren't able to locate the file they may be able to find an employee that was once involved.
I once did foster care social work. I had some biofamilies and adoptive families that we always ran into each other. Recently I had a biofamily approach me because they wanted me to tell their children that the only reason their children were in foster care was because no family could continue to care for them and the responsible parent (dad) was finishing his drug rehab... which was all true. So eventhough they couldn't get to their records I was able to give the kids something they couldn't otherwise confirm... that their dad really did do everything he could to get them back home with him.