Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello.
We are looking at possibly adopting a preschooler from foster care, and we'd like to homeschool. I found out from my school board that 1) parents can delay their child's entry into school by a year (but they need to be enrolled by age 6), and 2) kingergarten is NOT mandatory.
If a child is placed in our home and turns five in time to start school, but we haven't yet finalized the adoption, will we be able to make this sort of decision yet?
Even if we don't "officially" homeschool that year, we'd want to delay sending them off to shool, since they'd have just gotten here and we want time for them to adjust and bond before yet another big change.
We're in VA, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any insights!
Karolina
Karolina, you are so off to a great start!!
Wanting to homeschool and bond,.......you wont regret making those two choices.
Now, here in Texas we were not allowed to Homeschool our foster to adopt children so we placed them in Private school until they were adopted and believe me aws soon as they were adopted we pulled them out!
Not trying to offend anyone but for us personally believe because we homeschooled our children....adopted and birth was the best choice for our children.
Especially our adopted kids.....when they came to us theu were drugged emotional messes...they had so many people telling them how to functions...some people favor them some people found them annoying etc.
Well, by GOD'S grace just after three months most my children revolved into different children....friends and family were in shock in the change in their behavior and emotional state.
Homeschooling your adopted children will give them the hugeeee step up they need to grow and heal.
I have seven adopted and all but one were older and are striving now.
They are blessed to have you!!!
Advertisements