Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I am trying to find a good program for a friend and I wondered- Has any one adopted from the Marshall Islands through Journey's Program?
Thanks,
MLRJ
We are considering RMI also. We had a domestic match with an extended family member fail last May/June. If we don't have another domestic match soon we will be switching to intl and RMI seems to best fit what we are looking for.
Advertisements
Does anyone know,
if we start the international process, and are in line "waiting"
can we also persue domestic?
Or must it be decided prior?
My husband and I are considering RMI as well- my husband is of Pacific Island heritage, so this program has spoken to us louder than all the others so far. I am only worried since it appears so few adoptions seem to occur each year. Is this because this is such a small program? Has anyone used the Journeys of the Heart program for RMI? If so, could you PM me? I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance!
Hi we are in the process of an adoption from Journeys of the Heart and should get a referal in a few weeks. What do you want to know about them I would be happy to share our experiences.
Advertisements
Because RMI only allows adoptions using one licensed agency - you need to be very mindful of our rules and what you share about RMI on the forums.
You can't really discuss the process at all - because that process is defined by the single professional service that does business in RMI.
I've edited a couple of posts.
Advertisements
Here is a link to the forum rules. [url]http://forums.adoption.com/rules.php[/url]
The agency discussion guidelines are in #7.
Hi,
As far as I can tell there is only the one permitted to have a program in the Marshall Islands at this time. One of the ladies at one of the agencies that I am looking at suggested that it might be a good option for me. She just had one of her people complete an adoption there and she sounded very positive. I sent an email a couple of weeks ago asking for information but have not had a reply. I really like the looks of the program but having to take that much time away from work to stay on the island (6-8 weeks)...well as a single working woman...its going to be really hard to take that much time off at once. Although spending a month or so on a tropical island doesn't sound that bad....Let me know if you hear anything else. Good luck! -KM
I have a 9 yr. old from the RMI and believe the rules have now changed. The JOH is no longer able to say they are the only agency able to process adoptions. If you look at their agency info they no longer advertise this. I have seen some people on the different RMI boards do different avenues this past year. We are looking a bit into maybe doing another adoption but want to loook at all our options. I know on a country specific board for RMI this was discussed. I do know there were more adoptions processed this past year than in years past. It seemed to be moving pretty fast. I would also say be aware that adoptions are expected to be open. We have an open adoption w/ our birth mom and adore her. On the other side we do have to establish boundaries since she is now living stateside. We consider her like a sister and treat her like a family member. Not all RMI adoptions are this open and for a majority of the past 9 yrs it has been very limited contact until recently.
Best of luck!
Hello Journeys is not the only avenue to adopt thru the Marshalls but, they have a great track record there. I have two different friends trying the other avenues to adopt from there but, so far as of the last 6 months nothing has panned out for either family. We had a positive experience with Journeys. If we adopted again from there not sure if we would use them again only because we now know the process and can do it privately on our own but, otherwise they are a reputable company and because of that have been the only company for many years to adopt from that country. There has been talk of other agencys working there but, nobody seems to know anything like names and reputations of these agencys.
Advertisements
millikid1
Hi,
As far as I can tell there is only the one permitted to have a program in the Marshall Islands at this time. One of the ladies at one of the agencies that I am looking at suggested that it might be a good option for me. She just had one of her people complete an adoption there and she sounded very positive. I sent an email a couple of weeks ago asking for information but have not had a reply. I really like the looks of the program but having to take that much time away from work to stay on the island (6-8 weeks)...well as a single working woman...its going to be really hard to take that much time off at once. Although spending a month or so on a tropical island doesn't sound that bad....Let me know if you hear anything else. Good luck! -KM
I forgot to mention that the time is now 5 weeks and possible even shorter.