Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think they are getting better at providing history but still have a long way to go. I also believe that most prospective adoptive parents shy away from demanding that info and requiring that info be updated on a regular basis, or even understand what needs to be included. Good for you for asking the tough questions, I hope you fight for the info.
Speaking from experience from adoptions during the closed era (50/60/70's), my medical history that was noted on my sealed court files...stated: mother in excellent health, father in good health...so now you see what was gathered back then, and of course that info was sealed by court order so even if it had contained anything useful it was not available. Examples of when a detailed updated history would have been helpful to me the adoptee: when my son passed away, when I had two back to back life threatening events that stumped my doctors, and the fall out to my life because of not having adequate access to or knowledge of my history to prevent those events from happening in the first place. As a final note, I was able to get the judges (my mom petitioned the courts) to open my file AFTER my two events so that I could search and find and obtain more info...similar to the phrase - closing the barn door after horse escaped...
Good luck and hope you stand your ground if you adopt a child.
Kind regards,
Dickons