Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My 1st placement is my forever son!
It was 2/5/08, and I was eating lunch, around 11 (I'm a teacher- we eat early!). My cell phone rings and my friend says "is that your phone? It could be JustBabies" (the agency I trained through). Sure enough, it was! I was asked if I would accept placement of a 10 day old baby boy. OF COURSE I said yes- never, ever did I expect to get a NEWBORN! They said he would arrive at 3, he finally arrived about 6:30. I picked my class up from recess and attempted to teach some (I still wasn't positive he would come, but then they called and asked if I wanted a placement check, so I knew it WAS happening!). I left work early and stopped by Babies-R- Us and picked up some newborn stuff...
It was surreal- I'm eating lunch like any other day and less than 7 hours later I have a newborn at my house- who stayed at my house, and needed to eat every 4 hours, and who, BTW, was BEAUTIFUL! My colleagues who shared that phone call with me all feel a special connection to my little son.
My baby came straight from the hospital- he still had his id bracelet on and his umbilical cord attached. It was/is such an amazing experience!
This started the most amazing experience of my life; so amazing, in fact, I'm gearing up to start accepting placements again. My little man needs a sibling(s)!