Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Our first placement, a newborn we picked up from the hospital, was with us for 25 hours.
We had been licensed for just a few days last July when we received a call about a baby born testing positive for amphetamines. Mom had a precipitous labor and no prenatal care, which are red flags for healthcare folks, so I suppose this is why she was tested. Mom apparently swore up and down she'd never used any drugs and they'd allowed her to breastfeed in the hospital. (They even sent breast milk home with us but I wouldn't agree to use it until MD OK'd it). We picked her up at 4pm the next day. It was so strange to walk in to a hospital nursery and come out with a baby!! She was a cute little Asian baby that looked a lot like Winston Churchill. The next day at around 4pm we got a call that parents had been to court and Judge had returned baby to parents. Of course they wanted her ASAP, so we packed her up right away and brought her to the processing center for RU. All the way over, we were so nervous. We thought perhaps the parents would be rude to us or at least very angry about what they'd been through. They were actually a nice young couple. We have never heard anything further about her.
Good luck on your journey. Foster parenting is very rewarding, but I've found it to be incredibly difficult in ways I never expected.