Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi .. I'm 34 years old and just last night acquired my adoption papers from my dad. I was born in Ontario and lived in Canada most of my life. After high school I moved to the United States and went to college and have lived there ever since. I've always just been a permanent resident, not a citizen of the US and have always maintained my Canadian citizenship. When I received all my adoption papers last night I found out that my birth mother was a US Citizen who crossed into Canada to give birth. Does that technically make me a US Citizen as well because I was born to a US Citizen? I am a little confused.
I would say you could probably apply for and get dual-Citizenship, but since you were born here, you're automatically a Canadian first.
Advertisements
Do you know how I would prove it aside from the Children's Aid Society saying my mother was a US Citizen and the letter I have to US Immigration from just after my birth letting them know of my birth and adoption in Canada. I have not yet found my birth mother. I'm working on it and just sent in all the paperwork to Ontario for the post-adoption information.