Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Afraid I don't have a list but we are currently on a temp license and finishing our permanent license next week (they will say it will take up to 6 mo after your class... we had 1 day ;))
The case worker will go through your house and tell you what you need to do, but here are some of the considerations we had to take into account, of course we are fostering younger kids so this could be different for you:
1: stairs have a gate.
2: fireplace has a fence, gate, or some means of protection
3: outlets without plugs have those little plastic dealies
4: you have an Carbon Monoxide detector if you use gas anywhere in your house.
5: Smoke detector in every bedroom, and at least one per floor (we have one in every room cause they are cheap)
6: 1 fire extinguisher in the house.
7: you sleep within hearing distance of the child or have a monitor
8: there needs to be 2 exits to the room (door and window usually)
9: The window needs to big enough for an adult to fit through (basement windows sometime need to be cut bigger)
10: guns are all locked up
11: amunition is locked in a different location than the guns
I think every state is a bit different but those are some of the keys. Again I wouldn't panic, our case worker told us she will list what we needed to do and then come back to review it when we get the chance to finish up (of course ending up with a placement 6 mo before we figured kinda put the rush on it).
psarahm
Hello,
I'm just wondering (and my google is failing me) if someone could give or link me to some kind of checklist to show what we may need to get done to pass a home inspection. My husband and I are 'renting' our home from my parents. They bought the house a year ago, it was bank owned and we are in the process of fixing it up. It isn't unsafe by any means, but i'm sure there are things that need to be worked on for us to pass. It's a two story home, if that makes a difference. We are beginning our classes on October 1st, so we'd like to be prepared to fix up what we needs to be done so we don't slow down the whole process. :)