Advertisements
Advertisements
I was curious if anyone here as ever decided to learn the language of their adopted child (India). Adoption is a few years down the road for me and my husband but I have been fascinated by the Indian culture and would love to learn Hindi. Is that odd? Do any of you have advice to whether that is good to do?
I think it is a great idea even if only a limited amount of words and phrases can be spoken. This can only help a child with the transition. Why not have a look for a Hindu speaker to have a few private lessons a month. I have found a lady from the country we are adopting from and have lesson a few times a month. If you can not find a Hindu speaker i am sure there are loads of on line language programmes.
Advertisements
I am currently enrolled in a University language course in the historical language of the foster daughters we have. This is a First Nations Language and VERY difficult to learn (47 constanant sounds, 9 verb sounds) BUT it is also the language that my daughters' grandparents, aunts uncles etc speak at home. I think it is a sign of respect for their culture and the children to learn even the basics. I am TRYING -- its very, very hard ... but I love the fact that I can teach the babies some basics.
Do be aware that, when adopting from India, you could be referred a child from a part of the country where a different Indian language is spoken.
While Hindi may be technically the official language of India, the government has allowed other languages to be designated "official", as well, at the option of the various states. According to one source, there are actually 18 official languages at this time. In addition, English is considered a "co-official" language.
As a result, you may find that your child speaks Urdu or Gujarati instead of Hindi, or comes to you with a good familiarity with English. While it is still a good idea to learn an Indian language, you might want to wait to begin your studies until you have a referral and know where your child is living.
Sharon