Advertisements
Advertisements
I have adopted two children through County Children Services and they have always qaulified for free lunches based on being adopted and on Medicaid. All I have ever had to provide was their medicaid #. Now all of a sudden with the new ohio law passing that says children who qaulify for free lunches no longer have to pay fees, the School is telling me that they do not qaulify and that they have qaulified in error all this time. They are saying they need a food stamp # or OWF # neither of which they have. Is any one else experiencing this? Or is our School district trying to pull one over. Please if anyone has any info on this I would much appreciate to hear from you asap.
Thank you
Sue
:flower:
In our state once children are adopted the free lunches are based on family income. They don't look at the fact that they are adopted. They are your children and free and reduced price lunches are based on income.
Advertisements
Yes that is the way it is here as well unless the child is special needs and qaulifiy's for the lV-E program and Medicaid due to special needs. This is what my children fall under and the Medicaid # has always been enough. Then recently our Govenor passed a bill that states if a child qaulifies for free lunches they also do not have to pay School fees. Then suddenly our School district is saying they qaulified them in the past in error. How convenient, and I feel they are trying to weed out as many as possible because of this bill. I know of other parents in other School districts who are still qaulifying based on the Medicaid and their districts are saying nothing about the issue and they still cont. to recieve free lunches. When you adopt from a Children services rather than a private agency and they have special needs such as cancer then there is suppose to be extra help out there and free lunches has always been to be one of them. Very frustrating.
I actually thought this was a federal law, but maybe its just statewide, but in MD all foster children qualify for free lunches regardless of income. Once the children are adopted, they must qualify just like any other child. It is based on family income.
In New York, it's income-based but this year, I had to put down the subsidy even though it's not considered "income". I think with the economy in the toilet, all the agencies are finding ways to cut back.
yea, here the agencies tried to cut subsidy's but they did not get away with it with most adopted parents as it is a signed contract and they could not cut with out agreement from the parents as well and most parents would not agree. The state cut back so the agency thought they could pass that onto us but fortunately they did not get away with that. As far as the lunches, I don't understand why the School ok's the kids for several years now suddenly they will not. A friend of mine whos daughter is now in 10th grade was approved all through out School and they are now saying it was in error and she will no longer get it. Just funny how it came about just as the Governor passed the bill saying they do not have to pay for School fees if they get free lunches. Until this was past this year it was always automatic that they qaulified.
Advertisements