Advertisements
Advertisements
Sounds like they are trying to give you guardianship or somehow make it a relative adoption so that the state won't have to give you a subsidy or give you the medical benefits any other foster child would receive. First I would find out exactly what your status is: is it guardianship, foster care, adoptive placement or what?
Then I would contact some sort of foster care parenting group who could help or point you to some legal council that would help pro bono (free). There are a lot of groups that help foster parents and especially relatives trying to get their kids from or though the foster care system.
Your gn should also have some sort of independent representation like a CASA, GAL or AAL? You need to get them involved more and speak to them to represent your gn's best interests.
Also, even if you have guardianship at some point (in my state I think it's 1 year) you can go back to court to have it changed to adoptive placement and eventually adopt your great niece. The adoption subsidy you would recieve then is federal, it has nothing to do with the state, the cw, the dept or the judge. You would also be able to get medical benefits like medicaid for your adoptive child until they are at least 18 and since there are preexisting medical conditions you should even be able to get a higher than standard adoption subsidy.
Please don't let them railroad you or scare you by saying they will move her!