Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
The visits are supposed to be with the sibling right? Not the bio mom? How often are these visits? I guess I am unsure of how the visits with the sibling might prove harmful if the visits are not with the bio mom?
I am the adoptive parent of my second cousin (now 7y, been with us since 13mos), I have contact with his birth father, limited contact but contact none the less. He shares all of the same traists as your daughter's bio mom (drugs, mental health, illegal activities). My son has a full sibling (2y) that was recently adopted by a maternal family member. She chooses to not allow any contact between the siblings.
I see this as nothing but harmful to both the kids. They have lost a great deal by having been adopted from foster care, even if our homes are infinetley better than thier birth homes. Why should they have to lose the opprutunity to know a bio sibling? Particularly a bio sibling that will someday be able to relate to the same sense of loss they will experience when they realize the circumstances that led to thier adoption?
I guess I don't see where your child having a chance to know her half-brother is harmful. As long as the visits are not occuring with the bio parents present (which would obviously be unhealthy) I don't see the problem. The boy is your daughter's bio half-brother, so you can explain it in just that manner. The younger kids are when they learn about adoption, the more normal it will seem and the less likley they will be to associate it with a bad thing.
Lots of kids who live in step families have half-brothers and sisters that they do not live with daily.....why would this be any different?