Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We did straight adoption through foster care. Ours I think was an unlikely situation. We were even matched prior to having our license complete.
Here's our story.
We went into adoption wanting a sib group where all the children were under the age of 10, any race and open to many needs. Honestly we figured we would be presented with children in the age range of 7-10 bi-racial and most likely boys. Lets face it that is the majority. We ended up being presented with a 20m old girl, 3 yr old boy and 4 yr old boy, White. They had "some delays" and aggressive behaviors. Reading their files I wasn't surprised. I would have been aggressive so we understood. The children moved home when they were 2,3 and 4. After our children moved home we recognized that they needed some testing and it was confirmed that they all three have FASD. There are benefits to apopting younger children and then there is the downside of the children not "growing into" their disoders where most can be identified by teachers, workers or parents. I feel that there is more of a risk involved adopting younger children. Please don't take this as discouragement because I wouldn't trade my children for anything.
Three weeks after our first three came home we recieved a call informing us that the children's bio cousins were just brought into care. If they went to adoption would we be interested. 6 short months later the children moved home..ages 8, 3 and 11m. This time 2 girls and a boy.
From what I have heard from others you are more likely to recieve a call for adoption only if you are interested in siblings. For me going back to pullups and diapers was a shock!!!!
Best of luck and just go with what is in your heart because then you will be an awsome parent. Your child will find you. Just give her time :)