Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay, I so loved the raising boys thread but my boys are at an age that I thought a new thread was needed.
My boys are now 9 and 5 and I get the rolling of eyes, shrugging of shoulders and just the ignore....did mom really say something.
How do you all deal with this growing up and attitude? :hissy:
My oldest loves...loves....loves to debate everything.
My youngest just loves to ignore that he did anything wrong. He thinks a hug and kiss will make it all better.
How do you all get your boys to understand that you just want them to grow up to be decent young men.
Love to hear your stories!!!
My 6 year old is the king of the defiant stare down. As if standing with his hands on his hips staring at me saying "I don't want to" when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do is going to change my mind! Then he gets sent to his room for disobeying and returns later with a "I am SO sorry Mommy. I'll never do it again." along the lines of your son's 'a hug and kiss will make it all better. At least he is consistent!
My 11 year old is finally getting to be in a good place. For the moment. The eye rolling, shrugging, and sighing seems to be gone. For the moment. The biggest thing we have is particularly when he is tired, when corrected, he will break down crying about how 'nothing I do is every right!' Ahhhh . . . hormones. :arrow:
So no suggestions, but some new things for you to look forward to! :)
Advertisements
ha ha ha ha ha!! I'm not laughing at ya, I'm laughing with ya!! Wait until teenagehood blows in and everything becomes an argument!!! My 14 yo is healing and has the teenage thing going on!!! My 11 and 9 yo are on the verge of puberty. I don't think my 11 yo will be as bad but I could be wrong!! My 9 yo will be a full-blown teenager... I can feel it!!!
dragonfly, are you raising my boys? My boys sound IDENTICAL to yours!
AJ (my soon to be 8 year old) is a MASTER SASSER!
The other day, apparently, I dared place a plate of less than worthy fare in front of him and he sighed really loud and said "You've got to be KIDDING me." Apparently, "crock pot cooking" is not real cooking, and food tastes better from the stove. Of course, he didn't tell that to the help (me). I overheard him talking to his brother.
Between the sighs, eye rolling, and nonstop "why" "how come" "whatever" nonsense, I'm surprised I don't drink. Much. :arrow:
My youngest believes "I love you mumma" is enough to cover every indiscretion, major or minor.
Fortunately, they are FAB 80 percent of the time...Unfortunately, that 80 percent is during the school day and nighttime hours. :)
Every day, I consider starting a thread asking for advice, but there's nothing I haven't tried....But if anyone has any NEW suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
DPline....
My 11 year old is finally getting to be in a good place. For the moment. The eye rolling, shrugging, and sighing seems to be gone. For the moment. The biggest thing we have is particularly when he is tired, when corrected, he will break down crying about how 'nothing I do is every right!' Ahhhh . . . hormones. :arrow:
You give me hope!:clap:
millie58....I feel those teenage years fast approaching. Maybe faster than I want.
Love....
Fortunately, they are FAB 80 percent of the time...Unfortunately, that 80 percent is during the school day and nighttime hours. :)
Every day, I consider starting a thread asking for advice, but there's nothing I haven't tried....But if anyone has any NEW suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Ditto here.....Have no really great advice.
I just love my boys!
Little M is really great at getting under Big M's skin. He can push his buttons to really make him mad. I just don't have any great ways to deflate the issue when it happens. Anyone with any ideas. Love to hear ideas.
Sincerely,
Michelle
My sister always said about her kids, "They're good in public, where it counts." I really didn't understand totally until my FS arrived. I suppose that I should take it as good sign that he is at his worst with me. It means he's secure in his attachment, right?
Several times I have had playmates' parents compliment me and tell me that he is so polite and sweet when he is at their houses. Really?!!!;) Did I send the right kid over? LOL I'm not totally comfortable taking the credit for his good behavior, because then I might also have to take the blame for the not so good!
It's not all bad though, he does still give me his most affectionate hugs, and every once in awhile tells me "You're the best!", in private, of course. Depending on how the day goes though, this could quickly change to hating me and announcing that I am "so mean!"
Did I mention he's only seven? We have a long way to go!
Advertisements
You know I can relate! My 8 year old's attitude reminds me of a 13 year old girl sometimes. He's got some anger issues, but we're working on those and he's doing much better.
My 5 year old is as sweet as can be but oh does he whine all the time!!!
Oh Ani.....Anger.....my favorite is the rolling of the eyes and the shrugging of the shoulders. What do you do? What we have been doing is taking away the fun things he gets to do.....like games, movies and tv. Any one have other ideas? My oldest is ten..... then there is my 6 year old (just last week he turned 6) has his anger issues. But with Mason I have learned to be very calm to explain why I am angry with him and what he did wrong and let him explain what he did wrong. I always have them look me in the eye. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Love ideas and suggestions my fellow friends.
Michelle
Its just a hormones problem every kid go thorough this but you as a mom its very important to look-over that whatever they do don't get them involve with the bad company and friends because this is the most difficult age for human in their life... Thanks
My boy is 3 and we've just gotten through the terrible 2s... I'm getting a wee bit nervous myself now! I'll come back on this board once my baby turns into a full blown teenage boy with raging hormones, haha. Will be looking forward to your advices! :banana:
Advertisements
Now I get the sass and the "that doesn't make any sense" when they hear something they don't want to. there were a few times when I locked myself in my room... but now they're better and so am I. I just have to remember that any type of anger towards my youngest is a trigger and he'll go into full blown defense mode which is worse than any teenager thing!
chocho
My boy is 3 and we've just gotten through the terrible 2s... I'm getting a wee bit nervous myself now! I'll come back on this board once my baby turns into a full blown teenage boy with raging hormones, haha. Will be looking forward to your advices! :banana:
[QUOTE=millie58]ha ha ha ha ha!! I'm not laughing at ya, I'm laughing with ya!! Wait until teenagehood blows in and everything becomes an argument!!!
exactly------my older son lives with ADHD and frequently has to be told multiple times to do one thing. I had done laundry and gave him his socks to put away. They went from #1- the kitchen table where they were folded to #2 the back of the couch to #3 the coffee table in the living room to #4 shoved in the cushions on the living room chair to #5 thrown into the dirty basket when they were clean and still folded together because he didn't want to take time to put them away. Needless to say I was not happy so I walked in the living room and turned off the xbox. He of course has a conniption ---told him he is not touching it again until he does what he was told to do. He proceeds to roll his eyes, tell me I'm nagging him and says 'just go lay down' like I am a dog or something.
Needless to say the poo-poo hit the fan when he had the nerve to tell me to go lay down as if I was a dog.
Unfortunately your kiddos behavior may become even more 'precious and endearing' when they become teenagers. Then you too can have blood shoot out of your eyeballs !!!--something to look forward to, eh?
My suggestion: invest in a big soft fluffy pillow which will help muffle your screams
chocho
I have a three-year-old boy as well. He perfected the eye roll at 2. And while he is an amazing (and actually really good, mostly well-behaved kid) he can also be totally infuriating. Today, when we were going inside to avoid the impending SEVERE THUNDERSTORM, he scrambled up the car to the roof and refused to come down. Earlier he had run out into the street. Twice (we can play in the front yard because we are the end of a dead-end and no traffic comes down, but I'm still not okay with running in the road).
I work with teenagers (not generally well behaved ones). They are actually very similar, except that they can, at times, be reasoned with, and are more likely to be able to learn to connect behavior to consequences.
it has been a long time since being on this thread. Just wanted to say that my oldest son with eyes rolling just gradated from college and is an architect and my youngest is starting art school in a month. I am amazed at how fast the years have gone and how the boys have grown. My oldest is 6' 5 " and he is 22, my youngest is 18 and is 6' 2". My neck hurts looking up to them. Especially when they did something wrong.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements