Advertisements
Advertisements
Geez, bio's never cease to amaze me. I found out last week fd bios tried to claim fd on her taxes and were ticked that it didn't go through. They have never had fd in their custody. She came straight to me from hospital after birth.
TemporaryMom
Why on earth should foster parents of CPS systems contribute to bio parents committing tax fraud??? The intent of these credits is to help the people actually raising the children, not the people who contributed to the existence of the child.
My girls' bio claimed them, illegally, the first year and got back a huge tax refund. Do you think she used it on housing? Nope. Did she buy anything for the girls? Nope. Nada. Nothing.
Exactly my point, thank you! They have no issue with commiting income tax fraud.
Advertisements
This happened to my family when they were still fostering. I'm not clear as to whether my family members who were fostering (kinship placements) all agreed with one another to let bio-mom & dad file on behalf of the kids or if the bios "got there first" and filed, but they filed one year and received a hefty payment. Everyone hoped they'd use the money to put down security deposits on a house or trailer and get a reliable used vehicle. No, that flew out the window when we found out bio-mom spent $5,000 on new clothes & name-brand shoes for her and bio-dad. They didn't even get gifts for the four kids whose birthdays they'd missed (all in one month, 3 in the same week)! It was stomach turning!
No one was that nice again to think they'd be smart with the money and unfortunately, that's the way it is for a lot of people. If I had a child in my care for 6 months and a day, or whatever the rule is, you can bet I'm making sure to file ASAP to avoid anything like that.
Biomom of FFD tried to claim her both years I had her. The first year she called me from H&R block. Tried to convince me to let her claim and she'd split it with me. When I said no she claimed "it wasn't fair that she couldn't claim either of her kids now. Year 2, she sent me a nice text letting me know that if I claimed her I would "get in trouble" with the IRS and she wanted to warn me..... I claimed her anyway of course!
Originally Posted by eomaia
"if families with kids in foster care were allowed to use it towards reunification, it would be enough for the deposit on a nice apartment plus the difference between a studio and a 2 bedroom for several months. By not allowing parents to claim children on their taxes, it means that they are supposed to demonstrate fitness without accessing a big chunk of money."
This is why I blocked eomaia. :mad: This is a foster parent board, not a bio parent support board. Too bad I can't block her quotes. Honestly, if you guys would just ignore her, maybe she would go away. Us responding to her rally just encourages her to post more, and feeds into her belief that foster parents are in it for the money and that bio's are victims.
Oh, and eomaia...if you are planning to respond to this, feel free to write an entire book, because I will never see it! :happydance:
I actually got a text from my FFS mom, who is incredible and very reasonable and rational, asking who was supposed to claim him. That wasn't sarcastic either, lol. I'm glad this is the only experience I've had with claiming a FC so far because it taught me a lot. I felt bad at first claiming him, because I hate money and fighting about money, and being stressed about money... So I wasn't planning on claiming him even though he lived all 365 days with me. But the LEGALITY of it, is the government needs to know where the child resided, and who had legal custody of him for the majority of 2013.
My FFS mom CANNOT claim him, as nice as it would have been of me to let her. It would have been illegal. I had to call the agency and ask, because I really didn't know. Bottom line is though is that if I didn't claim him, then he either would not have been claimed, or FFS mom would have been done so illegally.
In the future I will certainly be filing on any child who spends the majority of the year in my custody. It kind of pisses me off though, thinking of my FD parents who have refused visits since their girls entered care, and are spending the money they got for them as happy as clams. With absolutely no concern for the girls that THEY CLAIMED AND GOT MONEY FOR. Not that I wish they didn't get the taxes for them, I just wish they have a rats *** about the well being of their children. I can understand making mistakes, and not being perfect. I cannot understand not wanting to see your children when you are perfectly able to.
Advertisements
shazwott
This is why I blocked eomaia. :mad: This is a foster parent board, not a bio parent support board. Too bad I can't block her quotes. Honestly, if you guys would just ignore her, maybe she would go away. Us responding to her rally just encourages her to post more, and feeds into her belief that foster parents are in it for the money and that bio's are victims.
Oh, and eomaia...if you are planning to respond to this, feel free to write an entire book, because I will never see it! :happydance:
Agreed! As soon as I learned how to block her, I went right at it. I have been enjoying the boards even more since.
TemporaryMom
Why on earth should foster parents of CPS systems contribute to bio parents committing tax fraud??? The intent of these credits is to help the people actually raising the children, not the people who contributed to the existence of the child.
My girls' bio claimed them, illegally, the first year and got back a huge tax refund. Do you think she used it on housing? Nope. Did she buy anything for the girls? Nope. Nada. Nothing.
So what should be done if kids are with their parents for the first 5 months of the year, then bounced through several foster homes, then spend the last 4 months in a stable foster home placement? Under current tax law, no one can claim them.
Of course it should go to the people who did most to take care of the child, and who are most likely to spend the money to benefit the child. My objection is that if a child is bounced around in foster care and doesn't spend over 6 months in the same place, it's like that child didnt exist. No one can claim them, no one gets the money. But my experiences on this board lead me to believe that most foster parents would rather see children being cheated out of money than see bio scum get some cash to use towards getting their kids home.
eomaia
So what should be done if kids are with their parents for the first 5 months of the year, then bounced through several foster homes, then spend the last 4 months in a stable foster home placement? Under current tax law, no one can claim them.
They follow the law like everyone else. It's not a lottery it's taxpayer money. If you want to claim your kids then don't lose custody of them. Problem solved.
soupnazi
They follow the law like everyone else. It's not a lottery it's taxpayer money. If you want to claim your kids then don't lose custody of them. Problem solved.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements
We do not allow discussion of illegal activity on this board, so if it is suggested again, we may be forced to ban anyone suggesting it.
Smarty
I didn't even know you could do that until recently. :)
So, I'm probably a busybody/paranoid, but I wish there was a way to see who had who blocked, or at least who had YOU blocked, LOL. I know it would create more drama and the feature is intended to decrease drama, but I've always been curious on every board I've been on.
for what its worth, I've been on these boards since 2008 and eomaia is the only person I've ever had to block. I'm not interested in bioparents opinions, I have been a foster parent and a county attorney and have a very clear understanding of their viewpoints. What I don't have enough of is support from other foster parents who are dealing with the same things I am dealing with-you guys are great :love:
again, eomaia, feel free to post a loooong reply, cuz I will never see it! :banana:
There is something wrong with me, I find your posts with the happy dances at the end incredibly amusing tonight. Like, it's way funnier than it should be.
Advertisements
I love how self righteous and uppity you folks are here. Shame on all of you to refer to mothers and father as Bios who go thru pain and suffering of loosing a child . Yes some of them have no business raising children and they should have no custody but to sit here in this chat room and say things like they have low IQ's and act like you all are so perfect. Vultures is what I see . My entire family died in a car accident and me and my son survived but the pain of loosing my other 3 kids and wife led me on the wrong path but I have my son now.I always been so grateful for foster parents thought that you were the best of us . To see this brakes my heart .